AltSchool’s mission is to enable all children to reach their full potential. We are a public benefit corporation and a Certified B Corporation, bringing together a unique partnership of educators, engineers and researchers to create a proprietary learning platform guided by the most comprehensive body of current educational research. AltSchool’s platform is designed to empower schools everywhere to offer personalized, whole-child learning for each student, and to enable teachers to truly understand each child—both deep and wide—so they can develop and deliver a personalized curriculum that helps each child thrive.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool currently operates a network of eight schools in California and New York, which serve as learning labs for ongoing research and development. Starting fall 2017, that network of schools will expand to include the first cohort of pilot partner schools using the AltSchool platform of products and services. We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, Mark Zuckerberg & Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, who are committed to help achieve the goal of making the best education, the most accessible.
The Physical Education (PE) and Extended Day (ED) Lead owns the curriculum and programming for the extended day and physical education programs at a single school. The role includes leading activities aligned with AltSchool’s mission to enable every student to reach their full potential, managing student transitions, preparing snack, supporting core skill development and project-based learning during the core day, and supporting community enrichment programs before and after school. The ideal candidate is dynamic, collaborative, and invested in ongoing growth. Experience engaging students in an outdoor environment is key.
There are two PE and ED Leads per site tasked with providing an exceptional AltSchool experience for students ranging from grades K-6. These co-educators will divvy up the below responsibilities based on the makeup of each pair. The PE program runs throughout the core day between the hours of 9:30am and 2:30pm; schedules vary by site. There is a combination of structured activities and unstructured play throughout the week. Most schools use nearby public parks for PE. The extended day program runs from 3:15pm through 6pm.
- Run an exceptional, personalized, child-centered program across the PE and Extended Day experiences.
- Provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for students; use positive behavior guidance methods for students.
- Supervise students to maintain a safe, healthy environment and be prepared to act as necessary per AltSchool practices and regulations.
- Communicate with parents once a week at minimum using AltSchool’s proprietary tools to update parents using a mixture of photos and written communication.
- Develop and nurture professional working relationships with cross-functional teams such as school operations, health and safety, and product/engineering/design.
- Work productively with above-mentioned teams as well as school leadership on a regular basis to continually improve the AltSchool experience and exchange ideas, information, and knowledge.
- Ensure smooth operation of the school’s Extended Day program.
- Plan and teach developmentally appropriate, project-based curriculum and programming for a diverse group of students.
- Assist with choice, appropriate activities for students who prefer not to participate in the main program.
- Ensure outdoor activities are a central component to the Extended Day program.
- Prepare and distribute snack to students on a daily basis.
- Organize and maintain the site’s Extended Day supplies.
- Verify attendance using AltSchool’s proprietary tool at the end of every day and review billing data on a regular basis.
- Liaise with after-school enrichment partners who run specialized programs on site. Serve as the primary point of contact for emergency procedures and incident reporting, student allergies and medical conditions, and student behavior plans.
- Maintain a clean, organized environment.
- Ensure smooth operation of the school’s Physical Education program.
- Lead students safely to and from the classroom to the park or play area.
- Promote social-emotional development and movement through outdoor activities and play.
- Organize and maintain the site’s PE equipment.
- Collaborate with guest PE experts.
- Hold additional student-facing roles in the classroom.
- Participate in trainings.
- Collaborate with fellow PE and ED Leads, share best practices, and attend team meetings.
- Confer with the student support and educator teams to ensure continuation of care.
- Monitor and report student behavior and performance.
- Perform other duties on an as-needed basis.
- Maintain prompt and regular attendance on all school and work days.