As a member of the Office of System Communications team, the senior writer/ editor serves as writer/editor for publications, newsletters, collateral, media relations, executive level presentations and other written assignments. Creates compelling, easy to understand, consumable copy for each communication, tailored to the appropriate audience and reflecting the EMHS brand. Serves as a final stamp of approval on written copy, ensuring it is in EMHS brand voice, error free, and follows Associated Press (AP) and EMHS writing styles.
• A bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, journalism or related field is required. Master's degree is preferred.
• A minimum of 4 years of experience in a related field
• Healthcare experience preferred
• Working knowledge of AP style
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
• Ability to consistently meet and adapt to copy deadlines
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks with close attention to detail
• Eagerness to quickly learn new concepts by studying information and material
• Writes in a compelling, easy-to-understand style
• Drafts compelling content for written publications/communications
• Approaches communication both strategically and tactically.
• Reviews other writers' final drafts to ensure they are free of errors. Ensures the writing is easy to read and fits the publication's editorial style, edits and proofreads content for clarity, grammar, accuracy. Content may be system and member driven
• Ensures that brand standards are followed in published materials
• Helps promote health system programs, services and achievements through media releases.
• Constantly builds subject matter expertise
• Conducts web research and interviews using a variety of resources.
• Collaborates on presentation with multimedia, podcast, digital and print magazine teams.
• Analyzes data from member and service provider polls, member reports, and other sources.
• Writes engaging headlines considering audience appeal and SEO best practices.
• Assist Public Relations Director with special projects.
• Stays abreast of industry trends and news, health system news, services and objectives to help serve as a translator for target audiences
• Proposes topics and material that will appeal to target audiences
• Researches and writes on assigned topics
• Contribute articles and patient profiles to employee and community newsletters and magazines
• Provide writing support for PR and communication initiatives
• Review, proofread, and edit the work of other writers and coworkers
• Revises or rewrites materials and offer comments to improve work
• Defines and prioritizes projects and ensure timely delivery of all project deliverables
• Translates technical and clinical terminology into accessible, benefit-oriented information
** Please note that candidate may be requested to provide writing samples.**
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.