Umoja Student Development Corporation (Umoja) is a premiere on-the-ground partner for high schools and districts focused on ensuring that all students graduate from high school equipped for college, career and life success. Umoja’s core competencies include college & career readiness, social & emotional learning and restorative justice–each of which Umoja believes is essential to students and schools reaching their academic and postsecondary goals. Through our Seminar and Peace Room models and professional development, Umoja currently partners with 20 public high schools across the city of Chicago. For more information, please visit www.umojacorporation.org.
Umoja Student Development Corporation seeks a dynamic Professional Development Specialist for a full-time position. This individual is an educator, community organizer, and entrepreneur who uses professional development with faculty and staff to improve high school culture. The position requires passion and creativity with strong facilitation, planning, and organizational skills. The primary responsibilities for the Professional Development Specialist are to schedule, plan, and implement high quality, customized professional learning for schools, districts, and other community organizations. This position is also responsible for developing new relationships with educational organizations by attending conferences, networking at events, and creating marketing materials. To fulfill these responsibilities, the Professional Development Specialist works collaboratively with Umoja team members. Together with colleagues, the Specialist will ensure that educators receive the most current and appropriate services to build their organizational capacity for implementing Social and Emotional Learning (SEL), Restorative Practices, and College and Career Readiness initiatives. This position reports directly to the Director of Curriculum and Instruction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, prepare, and facilitate Umoja’s PD, ensuring the highest engagement, quality, and effectiveness
- Write and refine engaging professional development materials to build capacity among adults to implement SEL, Restorative Practices, and College and Career Readiness
- Manage relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders and communicate by email, phone, and in person to coordinate the logistics of trainings
- Coordinate all PD engagements, including maintaining the internal PD calendar and organizational documents, securing space, collecting and assessing evaluations, and invoicing clients
- Develop marketing materials for Umoja’s work, including publishing a biweekly newsletter showcasing Umoja’s work and advertizing upcoming programming
- Actively and continuously generate new clients and PD partners
- Stay current with professional learning research and practices to enhance professional learning offerings
- Other duties may be assigned
Benefits of working at Umoja include:
- Being part of a team and organization that is results-driven, mission focused, and committed to work life balance.
- Opportunities for growth, leadership, and professional development.
- Health and dental insurance
- Generous paid and sick time off package
- Parental leave after the birth or adoption of a child
For more benefits information, please visit: http://www.umojacorporation.org/about/careers/
Umoja Student Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and believes in fostering a diverse and inclusive staff. To do this, we not only recognize each individual’s diverse identity but also actively create and maintain a culture of inclusion where all Umoja employees feel involved, respected, and supported for their diverse identities. Please let us know if there are any accommodations you require.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and resume. Attachments should be in Microsoft Word or PDF format only. Please include the job title in the email subject line.