INTO Oregon State University (INTO OSU) is a 50/50 partnership between INTO University Partnerships and Oregon State University. The partnership was established in 2008 to help drive the University's internationalization agenda with the intent of raising its brand and profile, establishing itself as an international research-intensive university and transforming the profile of its international student body as well as enhancing the overall student experience. The partnership established and operates a campus-based state-of-the-art international pathway center that currently serves more than 1,200 international students in a variety of academic and English language programs.
INTO OSU is located on the Oregon State University (OSU) campus in Corvallis Oregon. Corvallis is one of America’s safest, greenest small cities and has been ranked the fifth best college town in the nation. Corvallis is located 90 miles south of Portland and is an hour’s drive to the beautiful Pacific Coast or the Cascade Mountain Range. Oregon State University is Oregon’s leading public research university, with 12 colleges and more than 200 undergraduate degree programs. The University welcomes a diverse student body of over 26,000 students from across Oregon, all 50 states and more than 100 countries.
INTO is an organization working in partnership with leading Universities and investing in the development of world-class international student centers. Each INTO Center is managed by a joint venture management board in which INTO and the partner university are equal shareholders. Since 2006, INTO has successfully launched partnerships with 22 universities in the United Kingdom, United States and Asia. The Oregon State University Center is the first in the US.
Director of Student Experience
Provide leadership and management for assigned areas on the Student Services team. Areas of responsibility include pre-arrival and on-site orientation, cultural adjustment, social programming, and other programs and services to promote the social, personal, and academic well-being of INTO OSU students. This is a leadership position involving staff supervision and considerable outreach and engagement with key campus partners. Works in close partnership with Director of Student Experience to achieve strategic goals and ensure that the programs and processes of the Student Services unit are in alignment with the vision and direction of the INTO OSU board and the university.
INTO OSU Vision: A vibrant and inclusive international university environment
INTO OSU Mission: We empower our students to succeed in and contribute to a global community
The successful candidate for this position will exemplify the INTO OSU Core Values:
A Global Outlook: We respect diverse perspectives and international experience.
Our Students: We value the success and well-being of our students as the foundation of our work.
People: We build community with compassion, cooperation, collaboration and trust. We respect each other with open communication and transparency.
Personal Efficacy: We provide leadership and take personal responsibility. We work with enthusiasm, positivity and passion.
Growth and Development: We grow and adapt to change with creativity, innovation and flexibility both as individuals and as a group.
Key accountabilities and duties
Student Services Leadership & Staff Supervision (30%):
- Provide leadership on the Student Services team and supervision of employees under Orientation and Engagement.
- Mentor, coach, problem-solve, lead and motivate team members;
- Evaluate and develop the performance of supervisees to ensure they have the necessary skills and tools to perform their role through effective performance management and professional development opportunities;
- Assign work to supervisees and ensure all HR and FSLA guidelines are followed;
- Supervise, hire, and train a team of Student Services Assistants; ensure their assigned hours are within budget;
- Assess programs and activities under this functional area by collecting participation data, conducting surveys, and gathering feedback; Use data to establish effectiveness and impact of programs and inform improvements;
- Liaise with relevant OSU departments to promote accessibility, cultural sensitivity, excellence and equity of OSU services to INTO OSU international students;
- Responsible for Orientation and Engagement budgets, including assisting with cost projections, tracking expenditures, and providing monthly budget reports to Director of Student Experience;
- Oversee quality management of assigned student services areas and work to continuously improve offerings;
Pre-Arrival and On-Site Orientation (25%)
- Provide leadership for the Orientation Planning Committee with Office of International Services to ensure successful arrival, orientation, and transition experiences for international students;
- Responsible for the INTO OSU Orientation experience;
- Coordinate with Student Services staff and internal stakeholders, including Academic Support Team, Admissions, Finance, Academic Program Managers and others, to ensure the success of Orientation processes and implementation;
- Responsible for developing and implementing a successful INTO OSU pre-arrival experience. Ensure student preparedness for their arrival to the US and the Orientation process through utilizing web, print and electronic materials. Liaise closely with Office of International Services and Central Marketing Team on pre-arrival communications;
Student Engagement (25%)
- Responsible for meaningful and effective cultural and educational programming for INTO OSU students;
- Responsible for engagement programs and activities that align with INTO OSU and OSU mission and vision, in collaboration with internal and external partners, to deliver experiences that support student success and satisfaction;
- Responsible for liability and risk management issues, including student welfare on trips;
- Maximize and leverage campus partnerships to enhance INTO OSU engagement programming;
- Develop partnerships with academic departments, including INTO OSU Academic Team, to integrate programming within academic programs;
Student Information Sources (10%)
- Ensure INTO OSU students receive all necessary information for their successful arrival and student life in formats which are comprehensive, easy to access, and considerate of their varying levels of English ability. This includes but is not limited to: Student Handbook, Pre-Departure Guide, Student Info Depot, INTO OSU App, Social Media sources and other web or print resources.
- Ensure visibility, relevance, and accessibility of these resources for students;
- Participate and cooperate with other staff in efforts designed to accomplish specific program goals;
- Serve on department, division, and/or all-university committees as assigned;
- Provide coverage for the INTO OSU Emergency Phone;
- Assist other INTO OSU Student Services staff and the Director of Student Experience as requested;
- Other duties as assigned.