This is a full-time, 12-month, exempt position, with benefits, reporting to the Provost.
Summary Job Description
The Dean of Library Services provides innovative and collaborative leadership for all aspects of library operations, management, and strategic planning. Areas of responsibility include oversight of library services and programs that support student learning, as well as faculty teaching and research; resource management; management of user services and library systems; assessment of library services; and management of the library team. Demonstrated interest in business, psychology, and social science librarianship preferred. Great opportunity for an entrepreneurial, creative individual. Preferred start date of January 1, 2018.
Sample Duties and Responsibilities
Planning, Budgeting, Administrative Duties
- Manage strategic planning process and establish Library goals, objectives, and strategies
- Assess, monitor, manage, and advocate for financial resources
- Work with Alumni Office to pursue possibilities for external collaboration and funding
- Pursue grant funding
Management of Staff
- Ensure that staff positions are well-matched to the needs of the Library and the College and determine job responsibilities
- Supervise and evaluate four to five full- and part-time librarians
- Support professional development activities appropriate for each staff member and the Library’s mission
- Ensure that library services in the areas of Access Services, Technical Services, and Reference and Instruction fulfill the mission and vision of the Library as well as the College
- Collaborate in development of standards, policies, and practices for both Technical Services and the College Archives and Special Collections
- Collaborate in establishing standards, goals, and assessment methods for reference services and the information literacy program
- Prepare instructional materials and teach library instruction sessions as necessary
- Engage in outreach and liaison activities to all constituencies – faculty, students, staff
- Support faculty (full-time and adjunct) in their teaching and research needs
- Oversee the development, execution, and promotion of library-related programs, special events, exhibits, and marketing materials
Resource Development and Management
- Establish and maintain collection development policies that meet short- and long-term needs of the College. Serve as monograph selector in designated subject areas.
- Evaluate the Library’s electronic and print collections to identify unmet needs and changes in curriculum. Evaluate journals and databases.
Library Information Technology
- Oversee OCLC WorldShare library management system, working with librarians and I.T. staff to ensure effective use of the system
- Work collaboratively with I.T. staff to maintain the Library’s public I.T. infrastructure
- Collaborate with the Chief Information Office to plan and manage projects that optimize the Library’s use of appropriate information technologies
- Maintain Library’s web site
Professional Development and College Service
- Maintain awareness of new information resources, appropriate technologies, and developments in teaching and scholarship that bear on the Library’s work
- Attend workshops and conferences, as appropriate
- Serve on various College committees