NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Refrigeration Mechanic.
This position is responsible for performing the duties peculiar to, and normally required in, the trade of refrigeration, following accepted procedures and techniques of the refrigeration trade.
- Provides guidance and directions regarding trade techniques when working with an assigned helper. Has a good knowledge on NYUs Medical Centers emergency procedure coordinates information with other shops, clients, and management during emergencies such as floods, fire alarms. This includes interaction with outside municipal agencies (i.e. Fire Department, etc.) as necessary. Interacts with peers, management, and clients, outside personnel is performed in an interpersonally smooth and courteous manner.
- Participates on inspecting work sites to determine procedure, material and equipment needed to complete work assignment as professionally and quickly as possible. Transports materials, tools, and equipment to the work site as needed. Requests material, tools, and equipment as needed from foreman and stockroom. Protects public in working areas from bodily harm at all times. Protects equipment and tools from damage. Reports competition of assignments of task to the foreman. Keeps the work area neat at all times. Follows safety procedures and requirements as requested by the Department and Institution. Sanitizes ice machines and cleans water filters as needed. Responsible for cleaning A/C units, change filters, condensers as requested.
- Orders supplies and equipment through manger, to maintain adequate stock for daily operation and planned activities. Reviews scheduled daily long term work to ensure that adequate materials are on hand or order them if necessary through manager. Checks readiness of equipment for specialized work. Monitors and maintains inventory of disposals used on chillers, such as oil, oil filters, solution filters.
- Communicates the objective of assignments to members of shop and solicits feedback to ensure assignment is understood. Assigns work in order to accomplish goals in a timely and professional fashion and make allowances for individual initiative. Communicates the need for new policies and procedures to supervisor in a timely fashion helps management develop and implement them. Communicates the reason for delay in accomplishing work to supervisor in a reasonable time.
- Schedules work assignments of engineering shop members and maintain records of work time and other documentation as may be required and monitors their work. Schedules and monitors daily work for staff on all shifts. Reassigns staff as necessary. Reviews personal days and vacation schedules to avoid overlay or negative impact on the shop and operation. Reviews engineers daily documentation (e.g., chiller and shift log), incident reports and follow up with appropriate action. Takes appropriate action to solve problems and notify management with regards to daily operation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have five years experience. Trade or vocational school graduation shall reduce the requirement to four years. Previous foreman or supervisory experience is required.
- Possesses a N.Y. C. FIRE DEPARTMENT unlimited refrigeration permits. Demonstrates leadership and interpersonal skills.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.