NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Coding Liaison - Clin Doc Excellence.
This position is a multifaceted role in which the incumbent applies and transfers clinical knowledge, to ICD9-CM coding documentation requirements in an effort to improve the overall quality and completeness of the medical record resulting in accuracy of in-patient code assignments, legitimate MSDRG assignment/reimbursement, and accurately reflect the level of care provided and clinical complexity of the patient.
- Facilitates appropriate clinical documentation to support accurate assignment of ICD9-CM codes and Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG).
- Assists in the development of education for clinical and non clinical staff.
- Serves as a clinical resource for the coding department.
- Facilitates communication of various professionals to support organizational goals related to compliance, quality and coding.
- Serves as an advocate to L&T professionals with documentation requirements.
- Supports the mission, philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of NYU Hospitals Center, and Clinical Documentation Management Program.
- Adheres to the general hospital standards, and code of conduct, to promote a cooperative work environment by utilizing communication skills, interpersonal relationships and team building: Following hospital/departmental policies; Contributing to the overall quality of service; Assuming responsibility for keeping informed about changes in Policy and procedure, in addition to CMS and coding regulatory guidelines.
- Shares in accountability to the discharge not final billed work queue by maintaining established query closeout timelines.
- Collaborates to obtain a complete, accurate medical record from a billing and severity Impact.
- Participates in departmental, interdisciplinary, hospital and Medical Board committees as appropriate.
- Designs/conducts education for internal customers in a variety of ways to improve documentation in the medical record.
- Tracks and reports outcomes to appropriate individuals/departments.
- Actively participates in ongoing education, and serves as a mentor to new staff.
- Maintains current clinical knowledge in area of review and patient population.
- Evaluates the medical record from a multi facetted viewpoint, applies and transfers knowledge to necessary departments.
- Assumes responsibility to practice according to coding and CMS regulations.
- Evaluates data to determine educational opportunities for clinicians and coding staff.
- Communicates information documented in the medical record to appropriate personnel when there may be a process improvement or quality concern.
- Performs audits as determined by analysis to improve outcomes.
- Must have a Current licensure as a Professional Registered Nurse in New York State.
- Minimum of five years direct acute inpatient clinical staff nurse experience required.
- Competencies: strong clinical skill-set, self directed individual with an ability to work independently with minimal supervision, ability to triage workload to support department goals. Excellence in interpersonal skills, exemplified by: effective communication, negotiation and conflict management skills; creative problem solving and clinical leadership, strong organizational and time management skills.
- This position may require flexibility in role assignment and hours.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and demonstrated proficiency in managing software needed.
- BSN preferred.
- Working knowledge of MSDRG system preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.