NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Lab Technologist in our Molecular Laboratory.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing molecular diagnostic testing, participates in QC/QA activities. Demonstrates good knowledge of molecular biology techniques.
1. Performs and oversees tests with diagnostic purposes.
2. Retrieves clinical information using the PowerPath system
3. Processes patient specimens as specified for individual molecular tests using standard procedure manual.
4. Performs purification and extraction of nucleic acids using automated or manual methods. Performs quantification of nucleic acid and recording the data. Performs PCR reactions and gel electrophoresis using standard precautions as described in the molecular SOPM. Properly operates and programs the PCR and sequencing machines.
5. Participates in quality control procedures (reagents, machines) as delineated by the supervisor.
6. Assures daily quality of results, communicates issues to lead tech or supervisor. Ensures that the necessary reagents are available for the performance of clinical tests. Notify the lead tech or supervisor when ordering new reagents is needed. Responsible for the maintenance, validation, and troubleshooting of all equipment in molecular pathology as assigned by the lead tech or the supervisor.
7. Responsible for chemical, biohazard and radioactive materials handling, storage and disposal.
8. Responsible for compliance with environmental services, JCAHO, NYS DOH, and CAP regulations.
Bachelor's degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology from a program registered by the NYS Department of Education or a Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry or Physical Sciences from an accredited college or university with one year of clinical laboratory experience (completion of an internship program at a qualified institution is acceptable) and a license as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist by the State of New York based on the on the Special Provision of the Regulations of the Commissioner in accordance with the Clinical Laboratory Technology Practice Act.
Required Licenses: Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
Preferred Qualifications:Masters or PhD in Cell or Molecular Biology and at least one year experience in Molecular Diagnostics
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.