| The Cornell Lab of Ornithology seeks a full-time web designer to join our dynamic and creative teams in developing mobile-responsive websites, including the Webby award-winning AllAboutBirds.org and other websites of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to improve the understanding and protection of birds. |
We are looking for a creative and motivated team player to collaborate with our lead web designer, director of web Communications, and multidisciplinary teams to optimize aesthetics, usability, functionality, and maintenance of websites and applications.
Supported by more than 100,000 donors, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology is a nonprofit environmental organization and a vibrant unit of Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, with the mission to interpret and conserve the earth's biological diversity through research, education, and citizen science. We engage more than 20 million people annually through online and mobile platforms, including distance-learning courses, citizen science projects, interactive rich-media features, and live Bird Cams.
Web Designer II - Band E
Lab of Ornithology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop scope of work, timeline, site architecture, user interface, and design requirements.
- Work with lead web designer to ensure consistent graphic identity across websites, fulfill stakeholder needs, create excellent visual design, conduct usability testing, and maintain good coding standards.
- Strategically use technology, data, and multimedia to better integrate informational content across the Cornell Lab.
- Design layouts and UI components such as iconography, graphical elements, and navigation tools.
- Work with content writers to design digital graphics and create data visualizations that demonstrate scientific concepts and information.
- Create and maintain email templates that display well on a wide range of devices.
- Conduct training and provide assistance for non-technical staff on how to use content management systems, good web content principles, and basic web design skills.
- Bachelor's degree with at least 3 years of experience in web design.
- Thorough knowledge of HTML, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Experience creating content management systems, preferably WordPress.
- Thorough understanding of web design and development strategies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to convey technical information in way that nontechnical staff can understand.
- Demonstrable skills in problem solving and critical thinking.
- Prior experience working in nonprofit or educational settings.
- Experience in the decision making process of web design and web applications.
- Experience dealing with search engine optimization issues and designing email templates for a wide range of devices.
- Prior knowledge with Git, SASS, LESS, AMP, WordPress, php, and MySQL.
- Well-developed illustration and artistic skills and understanding of various types of optimization.
- Knowledge of birds, nature, and bird watching.
- Experience with researching and effectively serving target audiences.
Applicants to provide cover letter, resume, contact information for 3 references.
When applying through our system, please remember to attach your application materials (resume/cover letter/CV) in either Microsoft Word or PDF. In the Experience section of your application, use the Paperclip icon to search for file(s) or use the 'Drop Files Here' box to manually drag document(s) into your application. For a more detailed description and instructions on how to create a profile online please click here as an external candidate or click here if you are an internal candidate
Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position; not eligible to apply.
Relocation assistance is not provided for this position.
University Job Title:Web Designer II
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Sue Taggart
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-04-28-07:00