The Budget Specialist will work with Center administration, faculty and staff in the day-to-day management of expenditures and revenues for a variety of accounts, e.g., general funds, grants, contracts, endowments, revenues, gift accounts. This includes monitoring expenses, basic monthly reconciliation of accounts, processing financial transactions, entering financial data into JHU financial systems to ensure completeness and accuracy.
Experience with JHU financial and administrative policies and procedures, including proficiency in SAP is required. The Center for Health Security is a free-standing administrative unit of the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health.
The Budget Specialist reports to the Administrator, takes direction from the Sr. Grants and Contracts Analyst, and works closely with Center leadership, faculty and staff. Review and reconcile monthly expense statements, monitor monthly expenditures, and gather supporting documentation for Administrator review and approval.
1. Monitor expenses including but not limited to: process travel expenses (review and approve), coordinate procurement processes and vendor payments, initiate cost transfers and/or wire payments.
2. Receive, process and code invoices (FV60), purchase requests (Shopping Cart), expense reports and/or payroll forms (CATS).
3. Collect, assemble, and supply information for proposals and assist with various pre-award, post-award and closeout duties
4. Assist with developing budgets, budget projects, maintenance of budgets, and maintain awareness of basic knowledge of funding sources, generate standard reports
5. Complete necessary financial documents and forms; apply appropriate codes and follow established processing procedures.
6. Locate and compile information for standard financial reports, simple graphs, basic tables, and presentation of other routine information.
7. Follow-up with appropriate internal and external contacts to resolve questions regarding payments, purchase requests, and other routine issues.
8. Use various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate, and format data and/or reports.
9. Serve as back up to the Administrator and Sr. Grants and Contracts Analyst for financial and administrative questions for Center staff
10. Serve as point of contact for travel and purchasing policies and procedures.
11. Serve as Center P-Card holder and manage expenditures and allocations using the P-Card online application.
12. Appropriately allocate expenses incurred via CONCUR
13. Process deposit transmittals and transport to Finance Office
14. Pick up payroll checks from JHSPH mail code
15. Carry out various office management duties including manage/maintain standard operating procedures for Center/front desk, order supplies (including food/beverage supplies), manage security access cards, building/maintenance requests, receive/sort mail, sign for packages, archiving (filing/mailing), disburse and replenish parking validations, secure the office at the close of business and ensure front office operations are maintained.
16. Send out new hire contact cards and keep contact information updated for all staff
17. Create/maintain financial/budget checklists (i.e. travel reimbursement compliance) Using Constant Contact or similar application, send out weekly Center announcements about upcoming meetings/events, new hires, processes, updated policies and procedures, and other need to know items,
18. Send out calendar invitations to all staff to mark upcoming meetings/events.
19. Keep reception area tidy and supply room stocked and organized
20. Take meeting minutes at Center-wide and weekly administrative staff meetings, type minutes and keep an organized records of meeting minutes
21. Arrange/schedule conference calls and meetings for Center administration
22. Inform building security of impending visitor arrivals for meetings and events
23. Work with building management on issues of suite maintenance, building security, cleaning of suite, etc.
24. Develop necessary procedures to perform duties (i.e., procedures for tracking/coding invoices received from other staff members)
25. Other duties as assigned
Internal: Accounts Payable, Purchasing