Regional Campus: Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)
Posting Number: 17ST2035
Job Type: Full Time
Rutgers University Correctional Health Care is seeking an Infection Control Nurse for the Northern State Prison located in Newark, New Jersey. The Infection Control Nurse will implement and evaluation the Statewide Infection Control Program at the Prison with a primary focus on HIV/AIDS infected inmates within New Jersey Department of Corrections (NJDOC) to insure that NJDOC provides a safe environment for inmates and staff.
- Identifies and assesses inmates with a primary focus on HIV/AIDS diagnosed individuals, high-risk inmates, and inmates requesting HIV counseling/education.
- Plans and coordinates inmate/patient access to primary medical care by ensuring scheduling of routine tests/procedures, maintaining current case management, and updating/ordering labs and medication under the supervision of the MD, as necessary.
- Assists as a source of information and communication regarding infectious disease and infection control issues for the site.
- Provides HIV pre/post testing counseling as needed.
- Provides discharge planning functions for HIV infected inmates.
- Assists the Statewide Infection Control Practitioner in developing and continuously updating a Statewide Quality Improvement Program for Infection Control.
- Implements surveillance program to establish and evaluate efficacy of staff practices, including monitoring infection control policies and procedures such as management of contaminated needles, syringes, razors, dressings, etc.
- Develops and implements in-service program to instruct staff and participates in orientation of new employees to Infection Control.
- Provides direct and indirect nursing care to meet physiological, psychosocial and emotional needs of the inmate-patient including adults (18 to 64 years), and geriatrics (65+) and their family within the framework established by the correctional system.
Home Location Campus: Off Campus
Minimum of one (1) year of experience as an infection control nurse in a correctional setting preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
CPR Certification required. Computer literacy. Valid Driver's License is required. Must possess own vehicle or alternative means of transportation from one site to another.
Department: UCHC-Ph-Northern State Prison
Must be able to work mandatory overtime and will not be able to leave until the next shift relief arrives or other coverage can be arranged and to stay in cases of an emergency. Able to work different shifts as needed. As needed, the job may require emergency shift changes (day, evening, and nights) and location changes within a region and to work weekends and holidays as per the labor management agreement.
Must be approved by the Department of Corrections (DOC) and adhere to all DOC requirements. Employees will be subject to and must comply with all security regulations and procedures of NJ Department of Corrections and the assigned facility(ies) including, but not limited to sign in logs or electronic time clocks, searches of person and property, etc. Violations of NJ Department of Corrections and/or being banned by the Department of Corrections to work at a NJ Department of Corrections' facility are grounds for a disciplinary action and potential termination.