The Assistant Director of Pre-College and Environmental Programs assists the Director with developing and implementing academic programs within the School of Professional Studies and contributes to the overall growth and strength of the Pre-College Programs. These programs provide impactful experiences for high school students, creating inclusive living-learning communities with peers from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, under the guidance of knowledgeable and enthusiastic instructors and staff. This positionâ??s primary responsibility will focus on implementing existing environmental programs for high school students and assisting with the development of new pre-college programs that align with the strategic goals and priorities of both the School of Professional Studies and the University. This position requires the ability to work proactively and collaboratively with all members of the Pre-College Team, Risk Management Group, Office of General Counsel, Residential Life, Brown faculty, and the Programâ??s Advisory Board. This position will provide direct supervision of field-based staff and will represent Brown with off-site partners prior to and during program implementation.
Related responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Identify educational themes and learning outcomes for each new offering
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate seasonal and program-specific staff and instructors
- Provide on-call support to program staff while programs are running
- Evaluate all programs, establishing short and long term goals for sustainability and continuous improvement
- Work with instructors and resource people to continuously refine and improve curricula
- Work with staff and University resource people to identify and manage risks, and to address any disciplinary and crisis management issues in the group, communicate with parents
- Identify and address any issues related to the physical sites of these programs including determination of and securing all necessary equipment, and coordinate and supervise all support functions related to the site facility
- Work with personnel in the School of Professional Studies to develop effective and efficient marketing strategies, financial models/budgets, academic support, and enrollment services
- Perform all appropriate administrative functions; e.g., complete financial reports; update website content; draft contracts; keep appropriate medical records, incident forms; ensure compliance with relevant University and state regulations regarding safety and health; update all program communications (manuals and forms), and data collection and management for sharing with other constituents
- Identify partners who can assist with development and implementation, including Brown faculty and graduate students, resource people from other universities, research groups and centers, non-profits, municipal and state politicians, community activists, and business owners or operators
- Stay abreast of current environmental research and resources, particularly those affiliated with the Institute of Brown for Environment and Society
- Work with Advisory Board of Brown faculty and graduate students who provide advice regarding appropriate program themes, sites, instructors and staffing
For additional information about our current Environmental Pre-College Programs, please visit our website: http://brown.edu/academics/pre-college/bell/
Please Note: A completed application consists of a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references.
*Review of applications will begin Monday, May 15th.*
- Bachelorâ??s degree & 5 to 7 years of experience required or equivalent combination of education & experience. Masterâ??s degree in Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, or related field preferred.
- Teaching in or supervising programs focused on environmental science/studies preferred.
- Working with high school and/or college age students
- Identifying and managing risk and crisis
- Communicating with multiple stakeholders
- Training and supervising staff
- Developing and managing educational programs
- Experience providing experiential educational opportunities
- Knowledge of leadership theories and models
- Evidence of cultural competence and inclusiveness; sensitivity to and understanding of diverse perspectives that students and staff bring to their work, including those of academic, socioeconomic, culture, race and ethnicity, ability, gender, sexuality, and intersectional identities
- Proficiency with Excel or other data management tools
BACKGROUND CHECK: Criminal and Education
Recruiting Start Date:2017-04-23-07:00
Job Posting Title:Assistant Director, Pre-College & Environmental Programs
Department:School of Professional Studies
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.