NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Security Guard.
This position is responsible for providing security by protecting Medical Center patients, faculty, staff, students, and visitors and by preventing destructive acts to Medical Center property.
- Patrols grounds and facilities in order to protect life and property in the Medical Center. Performs various security checks to safeguard life and property. Enforces Medical Center and Security Department policies and procedures as appropriate. Demonstrates knowledge of all security posts including the operations center. Recognizes potentially hazardous situations and implements appropriate preventive measures.
- Investigates and follows-up on all incidents that compromise the safety and security of the Medical Center community or property. Demonstrates investigative techniques appropriate to the situation. Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate contact person/department regarding identified hazards. Assists in emergency situations as appropriate and according to Medical Center and Security Department policies and procedures. Demonstrates the ability to gather facts and thoroughly assess the scene of an incident. Follows Security Department policies and procedures when interviewing subjects, suspects, and witnesses to an incident or when interviewing complainants. Participates in special investigations as directed by the Director, Associate Director, or Security Manager by conducting interviews and/or gathering information.
- Maintains the incident report log and prepares written reports as required. Verifies all incident and accident reports prepared during the shift to ensure that all relevant information (including the taking of photos) is gathered and documented. Accounts for and accurately logs all incident reports for the previous days activity from the Master Control Sheet. Composes written reports that are clear, complete and accurate. Completes reports in accordance with Security Department policies and procedures. Submits reports to the Manager on a timely basis.
- As the shift leader, assists the Manager in supervising staff. Verifies the accuracy of staff attendance and hours worked on a daily basis. Maintains the equipment distribution records and verifies the accuracy of those records. Provides orientation and training to new staff in the appropriate Medical Center and departmental policies and procedures. Ensures Security staff is on post and reports unusual conditions to the Manager. Ensures that the Manager is kept apprised of work situations and the performance of each employee on an on-going basis. Implements assignment plans and consults with the Manager regarding post changes when necessary. Initiates follow-up with the employee to ensure assignments are understood and completed. Serves as a liaison to the Security office on matters that require immediate attention. Serves as a representative of Security Department in the Managers absence.
- Prioritizes, initiates, and communicates as appropriate in the leadership role. Demonstrates working knowledge of Medical Center and departmental policies and procedures. Recognizes urgent or emergency situations and informs the appropriate person(s), department, or Security Manager as appropriate. Demonstrates flexibility and leadership skills in carrying out responsibilities. Demonstrates the traits and attributes of a positive role model. Demonstrates willingness and the ability to perform various work assignments competently. Completes assigned work by the end of the tour. Willingness to take on additional assignments upon completion of assigned work. Ensures effective coordination of departmental activities by informing department members of the current status of assigned work.
- Responds to the needs and requests for assistance from the Medical Center community and visitors. Provides a prompt and courteous response to requests and/or inquiries from Medical Center patients, visitors, faculty, staff and students. Demonstrates an awareness of important issues that may underlie or impact the request, inquiry or response.
- Communicates effectively with all departments, the Medical Center community and visitors. Maintains the integrity and confidentiality of information pertaining to the Medical Center including the clinician and patient information. Demonstrates appropriate communication techniques to defuse tense or hostile situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED. Valid New York State Security Guard License. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Required Licenses: Security Guard Reg-NYS
- Valid New York State Drivers License
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.