The Sous Chef assists in supervising the production, preparation and presentation of foods. Maintains quality and cost controls through efficient food preparation within University Housing & Dining Residential Dining Market Places. Schedules, trains, supervises and coordinates the work of assigned staff involved in food preparation and service under the direction of the Market Place Chef.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES AND SPECIFIC JOB TASKS
- Participates in and monitors the preparation and service of foods as instructed and assigned.
- Assist in the planning, coordinating and supervising the work activity of assigned support staff to assure proper staffing and consistent quality in operations.
- Actively participates in menu planning and introducing new products that meet established standards of quality while maintaining targeted food cost ratios. Recommend changes in procedures and ingredients. Test new or revised recipes.
- Assists in writing menus for assigned special functions and events, and coordinates work activities between clients, kitchen and storeroom.
- Prepares daily requisitions for food and supplies according to production guidelines and recipes.
- Assists in controlling food inventory by maintaining par inventory levels in the assigned areas. Evaluates quality of raw foods received and finished food products.
Safety and Sanitation
- Supervise and maintain required levels of sanitation and safety standards in all production areas according to the Iowa Health Code regulations and internal standards. Assures proper storage and labeling of food.
- Monitor proper and safe use and maintenance of all production equipment. Inspect and coordinate repairs and maintenance of equipment as required.
- Assists the Market Place Chef in the formalized training sessions for all production staff on new and revised methods and procedures.
- Provide direction, assignments, feedback, coaching and counseling of assigned staff to assure outcomes are achieved.
- Performs human resources functions including interviewing, hiring, scheduling, evaluating, and disciplining of assigned staff under the direction of the Market Place Chef.
- Assists Market Place Chef in conducting staff meetings with production staff. Participates in food service management team meetings and planning meetings; and other University and/or departmental meetings as assigned.
- Interpret and maintain University and departmental policies, procedures and services to students, staff and the public as required.
- Recommend measures to improve production/service methods, equipment performance, scheduling, quality control, and suggest changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency and safety of the food service operations.
- Participates in departmental and personal professional growth activities.
- Responds to inquiries and comments from staff, students and the public.
Financial and Contract Management
- Assist in assuring production of desired quantity and quality of foods at appointed times and as needed throughout the period of service.
- Assures standardization of recipes and consistency in preparation, portion control, and presentation of foods according to departmental guidelines.
- Assist in administrative functions associated with timekeeping system and payroll as assigned.
NOTE TO APPLICANT: The qualifications for this job posting are described as competencies or the behaviors needed to be successful in performing the duties of the position at a defined proficiency level/standard. The required proficiency level for the qualifications of this position are at the working and extensive levels, defined as:
Working: Successfully completes diverse tasks of the job; applies and enhances knowledge and skill in both usual and unusual issues; needs minimal guidance in addressing unusual situations.
Extensive: Performs without assistance; recognized as a resource to others; able to translate complex nuances to others; able to improve processes; focus on broad issues.
For more detailed information about competencies see: http://hr.uiowa.edu/competencies
Please assure that your resume and cover letter illustrates the work experience, knowledge, skills and abilities you have that meet each of the required qualifications.
The Sous Chef is a classification within the Food Preparation job family. For more information about this job family, see: https://hris.uiowa.edu/CC_Redesign/driver.php?ACTION=DETAIL&FAMILY=PYB
REFERENCES: Five professional references may be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
6 months – 1 year experience in preparation and distribution of foods utilizing the latest techniques and knowledge of trends.
6 months – 1 year experience in food service management, including supervising and inventory control.
Working proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access) software applications.
Demonstrates a working proficiency in the ability to collaborate and interact with individuals and groups, while appreciating the unique contribution of diverse individuals.
Demonstrates a working proficiency to lead and coach individuals or groups in learning and improving effectiveness in processes and procedures.
Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively transmit, receive and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through appropriate communication methods and behaviors at a working proficiency level.
A valid driver's license and meet the University's Fleet Safety Program requirements.
1-3 years of experience in personnel supervision.
Experience in banquet planning, working in a large-scale food service and retail operation.
Some experience working with a collective bargaining unit.
Working knowledge of electronic payroll and timekeeping systems.