The Associate Director, Student Unions and Programming provides primary oversight and coordination for JHUnions (Levering Union, Mattin Center, Nolan's and the LaB), campus programming, and student organization events. The Associate Director is responsible for managing and maintaining the facilities and day to day operations of Levering Hall and the Mattin Center in conjunction with the JHU Office of Facilities Management. The Associate Director is responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures related to student programming and use of student union facilities. In addition, the Associate Director will work with the Director, Student Leadership & Involvement to evaluate the current use of space in the JHUnions and implement a plan to activate them to increase student usage, enhance community, and create experiences where students can gather socially. These programs will augment and complement the academic mission of the university.
Student Leadership and Involvement is housed in the division of Student Life in Homewood Student Affairs. The Associate Director reports to the Director of Student Leadership and Involvement and supervises the Program Coordinator for Student Unions, the Program Coordinator for Student Programming and Events, and student monitors. The Associate Director oversees building operations and programming budgets totaling approximately $125,000.
The Associate Director must be able to function independently and professionally in the assigned tasks and will serve as the Director of Student Leadership and Involvement in the absence of the director. Evening and weekend hours are to be expected.
Essential Job Functions
Supervision (30% of time)
- Provide staff oversight, evaluation, training and development in conjunction with office priorities for the Coordinator of Union Programming and the Coordinator of Student Programming and Events.
- Oversee the hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of the JHUnions student monitors, building managers, and Arellano Theater proctors.
Event management and advising (25% of time)
- Work collaboratively with staff in the Homewood Arts Program, the Office of Multicultural Affairs, Orientation and First Year Experience, Interfaith Center, the Digital Media Center, Recreation Center, Fraternity and Sorority Life, and academic units to connect student organizations to resources and inform them of policies and procedures.
- Assist staff in student leadership and involvement in the execution of major campus programs such as Lighting of the Quads, Spring Fair, etc.
- Advise and support the planning and implementation of student organization programming and events.
- Approve student organization event requests in Hopkins Groups.
- Work closely with Plant Operations, Campus Safety and Security, Dining, Scheduling and Events, and the Parking and Transportation to ensure customer satisfaction and safety.
Facilities management and operations (25% of time)
- Work directly with Plant Operations and Custodial Services to ensure that Levering Hall Union and the Mattin Center are clean and well maintained.
- Work directly with Design and Construction to make aesthetic enhancements to Levering Union and Mattin Center including capital projects.
- Provide excellent customer service to visitors and users in JHUnions. Responsible for key coordination in both Levering Union and the Mattin Center and for providing J Card Access to students in designated areas of the Mattin Center.
Strategic Planning (15% of time)
- Contribute to an environment in which student and staff generated programming serve the strategic needs of the university.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for event planning and approval.
Other duties as assigned (5% of time)
- Serve on committees as assigned.
- Represent the office for open houses, orientations, etc.