The Groundskeeper performs general landscape and grounds maintenance function as assigned, including but not limited to those listed below. This role coordinates and implements various landscape maintenance and related projects. Identifies, prepares and applies pesticide materials. This position may provide direction for specific tasks to Groundskeepers and Utility Workers with Supervisor instruction. This role maintains assigned work areas and related equipment in a clean, safe and operable condition. Ability to work a non-traditional schedule, often including evenings and weekends depending on event(s).
- Assist in development and implementation of turf maintenance and treatment programs for the various fields and grounds. Help assess turf quality (diseases, weather related issues, thickness, length of turf, etc) and make necessary adjustments. Stay current with turf products, trends, and problems relevant to local weather, seasons, sports, and turf types.
- Assist with setup, maintenance, and troubleshooting irrigation systems. Responsible for making sound irrigation choices with water conservation at the highest priority whenever possible. Use the latest technologies available to accomplish water conservation.
- Prepare and maintain athletics managed fields and grounds for: practice, competitive events, Athletics sponsored facilities and events, and outside events using Athletics grounds. Assesses field conditions and provides highest quality playing service-- type of grass, length of mowing, timing of top dressing and aeration, timing of line painting, access to use.
- Oversee and implement preparation and clean-up for all field and grounds events (set-up of benches, signage, painting lines according to regulations, turf quality, sidelines, etc). Help train and oversee grounds staff and temporary grounds employees.
- Landscape construction: provides general direction to others, installs tree and shrub plantings, site preparation and plant removals.
- Operate and maintain turf equipment, mowers, sprayers, aerators, irrigation systems, etc. Research and recommend equipment upgrades/exchanges. Trouble shoot basic mechanical problems. Assist with ordering maintenance work and supplies for turf operations. Drives University vehicles including those requiring a commercial driver's license - Class B.
- General landscape maintenance: lawn mowing, watering, weeding and cultivating. Instructs and assists with detailed trimming and pruning. General landscape clean up and leaf removal.
- Snow and ice removal: includes the use of shovels, small snow brooms and snowplows.
- Refuse removal: carrying garbage cans and picking up trash from campus areas.
- Special event setups for University departments.
- Responsible for adhering to all Department and University policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Five or more years of professional landscape or grounds maintenance experience.
- Must maintain a valid Illinois Pesticide Operator License.
- Must maintain a valid Commercial Drivers License Class 'B'.
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of educational training and experience.
- Must be a member of Local 681 or join after one month of employment.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Thorough knowledge of landscape maintenance and construction.
- Proficiency in plant identification, disease prevention and treatment, and pesticide application.
- Ability to read and understand landscape drawings as well as the operation of all landscape related equipment.
- Physical ability to work in cramped quarters, climb ladders, and work from equipment high off the ground.
- Physical ability to lift and maneuver weight of up to 50 pounds.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Associates or Bachelors degree in horticulture or related field are strongly preferred
- Experience working with irrigation systems
- Turf management experience for a NCAA Division I collegiate athletics program.
- Experience with sand based rootzone and artificial turf fields.
- Experience managing baseball/softball fields at the collegiate or professional levels.
- Experience supervising grounds staff
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.