NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Nurse Practitioner.
In this role, the successful candidate Coordinates and performs diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive patient care activities. Provides for and assures comprehensive nursing care through use of nursing process and appropriate standards of care. Functions within a collaborative practice agreement established with Division Chief
- Assists with research projects under the supervision of Primary and Secondary Physicians.
- Knowledge and understanding of active research project that utilizes the office to recruit subjects.
- Review of office's schedule to identify subjects as potential candidates for specific research project.
- Detail evaluation of patient's chart to look for inclusion-exclusion criteria for specific research project.
- Interaction with research subjects, including obtaining consent, addressing patient concerns, mediator between subjects and investigators and helping subject fill out questionnaires.
- Supervision of sample acquisition and transport from office to Dr. Segal's Laboratory. Some medical procedures may be required (e.g. obtaining sputum sample), and, if needed, individual could be trained at Dr. Segal's Lab.
- Interaction with research coordinators and team.
- Keeping signed informed consents secure.
- Supervision of data acquisition, storing it in database (RedCap).
- IRB issues, including renewals, amendments, edits, etc.
- Data assembly and basic analysis of data; records research procedures and results; files and maintains records; codes data for input for electronic data processing; inputs and retrieves data using computers.
- Performs supervisory and training duties of other research assistants including data entry research assistance, volunteers and students in the office.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supports the mission, philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of the institution, department and service line.
- Plans and organizes care to meet individual patient needs and to ensure appropriate clinical resource utilization per protocols, pathways, and other means.
- Works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team including the attending physician to develop and implement the therapeutic plan of care for a group of patients and ensure communication with family members.
- Participates in the development and revision of interdisciplinary and nursing standards, patient and family education materials as relevant to area of practice and expertise.
- Works collaboratively with the attending physician to maintain timely and appropriate communication with family members, house staff, other disciplines and ancillary services.
- Works collaboratively with nursing leadership to ensure timely communications with the nursing staff.
- Provides consultation about the therapeutic regimen to the nursing staff responsible for the patients care in the hospital setting.
- Facilitates the continuity of care across the continuum of services, e.g. home care, other facilities, appointments with MDs etc.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
- Participates in designated activities related to professional nursing standards and regulations of relevant outside agencies.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Elicits a detailed and accurate medical history from patient and performs appropriate physical examinations.
- Records appropriate data in medical charts
- Organizes and presents pertinent (both normal and abnormal) data in a manner meaningful to physician for his/her medical diagnosis and treatment.
- Orders non-invasive and diagnostic testing, differentiates between normal/abnormal findings and refers abnormalities to supervising physician per protocol.
- Participates in provision of healthcare, teaching, counseling and treatment to patients in outpatient setting and refers significant clinical issues per protocol to supervising physician.
- Prescribes medical equipment, devices, and home health services per practice protocol
- Prescribes and writes prescriptions for medication according to New York State law(including controlled substances provided number has been issued) per protocol
- Evaluates patients treatment and healthcare plan for effectiveness and modifies per clinical standards and practice protocols.
- Assists physician in maintaining timely and appropriate communication with other disciplines and ancillary services
- Respects and maintains confidentiality of all patient, physician and hospital related information.
- Fosters open communication with office and hospital staff interfacing with designated practice.
- Cooperates and communicates effectively and harmoniously with own supervisor, management, peers, general staff, physicians, other hospital personnel, patients and their families and general public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Pays careful attention to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions, or obtain needed information
- Develops a therapeutic and supportive relationship with patient; maintains a proper perspective between personal and professional affairs
- Maintains active and in good standing licensure
- Participates in hospital, nursing, State and JCAHO continuing education programs as required and as indicated
- Provides nursing consultation and educational programs to nursing and medical staff as requested and indicated
- Participates in outside professional and community activities as appropriate and requested
- Participates in hospital and departmental committees as appropriate and as requested.
- Monitors and trends cost effectiveness of position, particularly as it relates to efficiency and volume of servicer practice.
Minimum Qualifications: To qualify you must have a Master's Degree in Nursing from an accredited program plus five years clinical nursing required. Current NY R.N. license and New York State nurse practitioner certification with prescription privileges is also required. Accreditation from National Certification Body, (AANCP) Completion of an approved pharmacology course, a written collaborative practice agreement and practice protocols developed with supervising physician required.
Required Licenses: Registered Nurse License-NYS, Nurse Practitioner-NYS
Preferred Qualifications: None
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization. NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.