NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Refrigeration Engineer.
This position is responsible for performing the duties peculiar to and normally required in, the operation of all plant pumping equipment, following accepted procedures and techniques in conformance with NYU Langone Medical Center requirements.
- Responsible for updating logs and documentation on a daily basis. Maintains shift and equipment logs in a clear and concise manner. Provides guidance and direction regarding trade techniques when instructed to work with an assigned helper.
- Orders supplies and equipment through manager, to maintain adequate stock for daily operation and planned activities. Emergency response. Assists other mechanics when needed. Maintains a shop inventory to provide adequate supplies to perform continued maintenance of Medical Center. Estimates materials needed and record time and material expended on each work order.
- Maintains appropriate records, inventories, etc. Acquires and maintains overall knowledge of facility operations and reports status to management. Ensures equipment is operating according to given schedule. Operates various operational software associated with existing automation systems. Knowledge of NYUs Medical Centers emergency procedure and coordinates information with other shops, clients, and management during emergencies such as floods, fire alarms. This includes interaction with outside municipal agencies (i.e. Fire Department, etc.) as necessary.
- Operates, repairs, tests and maintains all types of refrigeration engineering equipment (ex. Centrifical, split casing, end suction, vertical, vacuum and vacuum condensate pumps). Properly aligns motors, pumps, shafts, gearboxes and couplings. Properly repack pump seals and change mechanical seals.
- Operates, repairs, tests and maintains all pumping equipment, using necessary hand tools and testing equipment. Operates, repairs, tests and maintains all types of refrigeration engineering equipment (ex. Centrifical, split casing, end suction, vertical, vacuum and vacuum condensate pumps). Properly aligns motors, pumps, shafts, gearboxes and couplings. Properly repack pump seals and change mechanical seals.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must possess a N.Y.C. FIRE DEPARTMENT unlimited refrigeration permit.
- Minimum of five to ten years in operation and maintenance of electric and centrifugal refrigeration equipment, absorption refrigeration equipment, pumps, cooling towers, H.V.A.C. systems, chiller plant control systems, standpipe, sprinklers systems and fire alarm systems in a similar size facility.
- Demonstrates leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Previous foreman or supervisory experience is required.
- Must have five years experience in this field. Trade or vocational school graduation shall reduce the requirement to four years.
- New York Fire Department Certificate of Qualification for refrigerating system operation.
- New York Fire Department Certificate of Fitness of the following: Standpipe Systems (F- 10); Sprinkler Systems (F-18); Bulk Gas Storage (G-17). These three licenses must be obtained before the expiration of the probationary period.
- New York State E.P.A. Pesticide Applicator License (G-7) to be obtained within one year of employment. If not in possession of the Pesticide Applicator License, must be willing to attend course and pass examination.
Required Licenses: NYC Refrigeration Engineer License
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.