Plan, coordinate, and supervise the activities of personnel in an assigned technical discipline of the laboratory.
- Prepare work schedule to provide adequate coverage and efficient use of personnel, using flexible (days/hours) staffing in response to volume of patients/procedures. Determine priority of work to be accomplished. Assume technical responsibility 24 hrs./day, 7 days/week for assigned discipline. Perform duties as described in the job description for a medical technologist.
- Develop quality control program in conjunction with published guidelines, monitor and maintain its operation. Participate in QA activities. Ensure verification, validation, sensitivity, and specificity of procedures, methods, and instruments meets or exceeds established regulatory standards. Document, and initiate appropriate corrective action with issues of concern.
- Monitor and document the performance of preventative maintenance to ensure instruments are operational and functioning properly at all times. Ensure an adequate instrument preventative maintenance program is in place. According to regulatory standards, maintain appropriate instrument records for all equipment.
- Assist technologists in "troubleshooting" procedures, reagents, equipment, and any other work-related problems. Consult with and inform Laboratory Medical Director and Laboratory Director of significant problems with instruments and/or procedures. Ensure reporting mechanism is accurate and appropriate.
- Maintain a current written procedure manual, review and revise as needed, at least once a year. Evaluate current procedures, make modifications, and replace with new procedures as needed. Assure that all policies and procedures are followed.
- Identify and justify new or replacement capital equipment as needed. Participate in budget preparation. Establish and maintain an ongoing inventory system for department. Ensure adequate supplies are available in the most cost efficient manner. Prepare cost analysis for all testing within department. Assist in performing special cost studies as needed.
- Schedule and provide educational opportunities when asked. Read and research technical literature as time permits to keep abreast of new methods, techniques and instruments. Attend workshops, seminars, and lectures to keep current on new instrumentation, techniques, and management strategies.
- Demonstrate leadership and management skills when dealing with staff. Accept and give constructive criticism. Function as role model for staff. Convey a positive image of the hospital and foster positive interdepartmental relations.
- Work with the Laboratory Director to contain costs and gain efficiencies. Meet or surpass financial performance goals exercising judgment to flex expenditures for staff and expense in response to volume of patients, procedures or departmental goals. Monitor, evaluate and report progress towards achieving established goals, including TAT goals.
- Perform other related duties as directed that correspond to the overall function of this position.
Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Certified as an MT or MLT by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) OR Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) or Clinical Laboratory Technician (CLT) by the National Certification Agency for Medical Laboratory Personnel (NCA) OR certification by other nationally recognized certifying agency acceptable to the Laboratory Director.
Two years of satisfactory employment in a medical laboratory as a Registered Medical Technologist.
About SSM St. Anthony's Hospital
St. Anthony Hospital is a 601-bed regional referral facility specializing in cardiology, oncology, surgery and behavioral medicine. The hospital, established in 1898, is located in Midtown Oklahoma City and serves the needs of Central Oklahoma, as well as many counties throughout Oklahoma, through its large rural affiliate network of hospitals. Four St. Anthony Healthplex campuses provide convenient emergency and outpatient service access to the outlying communities of the metropolitan area. St. Anthony added urgent care services in May 2015 at St. Anthony North. St. Anthony has received numerous awards including the Oklahoma Quality Award for Excellence, Certified Healthy Business, Premier QUEST® Award for High-value Healthcare Citation of Merit, among others. Healthsights ranks St. Anthony at performance levels for quality and patient satisfaction higher than local competitors and many national health care organizations.