Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications, the Director of Design Services guides the Marketing and Communications design team in the planning and production of all design projects, and is responsible for the overall quality of design work produced by the Office of Communications. S/he oversees the design team to ensure all projects are completed accurately, creatively, on time, and in adherence to brand guidelines. S/he oversees design strategy across multiple platforms, and works closely with the design team to generate ideas and create concepts to position Berklee at the leading edge of communications and marketing in higher education. S/he is a forward thinker with a proven ability to incorporate emerging tools, technology, and business practices to improve the customer experience and streamline workflow.
Essential Functions/Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategize, supervise, plan, and execute the college's long-term and day-to-day visual identity via expertise in design, publishing, layout, typography, photography, video, and illustration.
- Build and manage strong, collaborative relationships with clients across the college, including Enrollment Marketing, Institutional Advancement, Berklee Valencia, Berklee Online, Boston Conservatory, and college departments and institutes, to anticipate and meet client needs, achieve college and area goals, and support the college mission.
- Build close relationships with colleagues across External Affairs to develop creative content strategies for communications and marketing campaigns with an eye toward successful audience engagement, measurable goals, and analytics reporting to inform future efforts.
- Lead, direct, and work as part of the design team in the production of all marketing and communications collateral from concept to completion, overseeing timelines, managing budgets, producing work, reviewing work, troubleshooting issues, and providing constructive, actionable feedback in order to improve internal processes, customer service, and design deliverables.
- In collaboration with the Associate Director for Editorial Services and Associate Director for Digital Strategy, develop and manage an efficient, productive workflow that ensures high quality materials are consistently produced across all web and print platforms.
- Hire and train design staff, with a focus on professional development and emerging trends and technologies.
- Develop and maintain an active list of freelance designers for additional projects.
- Foster a supportive, professional environment conducive to the free exchange of ideas and professional growth.
Supervises the Associate Director of Design Services, Graphic Designer, and Assistant Director of Design Services.