The College of Design seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail oriented, and flexible Advancement Assistant to join our team. Advancement encompasses the college’s alumni relations, development, communications and web team, and through innovative strategies builds the agenda to raise awareness about the College. This position will report to the Assistant Dean and will work closely with area leads by providing events coordination, project and office management, communications and administrative support to ongoing and new initiatives. This is a 100%, 12-month, continuing Labor represented unit position.
Essential Job Functions
Development Support: 35%
- Support college development programs, including stewardship of donor gifts.
- Coordinate and track gift acknowledgements in a timely way: prepare letters/postcards for signing by the Dean, prepare call sheets for the Dean and Development officers.
- Draft, personalize, compose, edit, prepare and send donor correspondence as needed.
- Serve as the technical Annual Giving administrator for the college. Work with colleagues to coordinate mailings, e-appeals and phone solicitations.
- Serve as primary liaison between the College Advisory Board and Development team: plan three board meetings per year, coordinate communications, track attendance, record minutes.
- Plan and execute yearly donor scholar luncheon, taking into account the diversity of donors (eg: diverse backgrounds, religions, accessibility needs, etc.).
- Carry out additional development recognition projects and provide administrative support for new initiatives.
- Make sure all student scholarship recipients write an acknowledgement/thank you letter to donors (in a timely manner) for receiving their award, and ensure award recipients are recorded accurately in Donor Management System (DMS), or payroll sheets are scanned into DMS for record keeping.
Alumni Relations Support: 25%
- Serve as a contact/resource for alumni; take calls and emails, screen and respond to requests.
- Create, build, test and send emails to alumni and constituents from a variety of backgrounds and experiences using SalesForce Marketing tool. Track email send rates, open rates, click activity, and user engagement. Make suggestions for sending strategy and when to send.
- Prepare and send the alumni e-newsletter in partnership with communications coordinator for content. Manage alumni email account.
- Primary user of the DMS. Update and maintain constituent records.
- Maintain event listing on the University’s calendar system.
General Advancement Support: 20%
- Actively participate in event planning sessions, helping to ensure consideration of participants’ diversity in culture, accessibility needs, etc. Handle logistics including, but not limited to, invitation and RSVP process, reservation trouble-shooting, tracking, ordering food and supplies, scheduling venues, preparing and maintaining materials, handling and facilitating set-up; completing related financial business documents; handling event confirmations.
- Work closely with other Advancement staff to integrate development and alumni relations activities with other Advancement and collegiate activities.
- Book reservations and ensure travel expenses, vendor invoices, reimbursements, and event-related forms are completed and submitted.
- Maintain alumni/donor data and mailing lists.
- Provide support to departments and units on fund administration, with a focus on ensuring private support/foundation funds are used appropriately and comply with Memorandums of Agreement.
- Serve as a liaison between departments, finance, the foundation, and Advancement team.
- Assist with planning bi-yearly Advancement retreat.
- Supervise Advancement student worker.
- Provide assistance across the Advancement team as directed.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Communications Support: 20%
- Coordinate with web and graphic design team to maintain content on the College of Design website.
- Write and edit stories and content for publication in print and electronic mediums, including web and social media.
- Contribute to identifying compelling stories and related content informing and engaging local and national constituent groups.