NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Financial Services Associate.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for ensuring maximum reimbursement to the Medical Center by managing patient accounts. Must successfully perform at least three of the following function: account services, account review, billing and collection activities
- Account Services -Reviews patientfolders, registrationforms and chargedocuments to ensurethat all information iscomplete and accurate.Verifies and updatespatient information(demographics,insurance benefits andcharge data). Links thepatient, related partyand coverage recordsto ensure that claimsare filed correctly.Responds tosubsequent requestsfor billing relatedinformation. providesthorough review ofaccounts to bereclassified to alternatecarriers and accuratedata entry of relatedbenefit revisions.
- Billing Services -Submits claims to thirdparty carriers on atimely basis. Re-billsclaims as necessary. Iscognizant of time limitscurrently in effect forall billing activities andmonitors forcompliance.
- Account Review -Reviews accounts todetermine accountsrequiring action.Verifies that theaccount has beenproperly billed;identifies that paymenthas been applied to theproper service dateand hospital accountrecord (HAR). Checksaccount withoutstanding balancesto determine whetheraccount should becancelled and re-billed,billed to secondarycarrier/patient orrefund prepared.Reviewscharges/payment andtransfers to anotheraccount if warranted.Identifies reason fordenial or delay ofpayment; pursuespayor/corrective actionto resolve claim.
- Resolves creditbalances by reviewingaccounts thoroughly;pursues refund oradjustment asappropriate. Accuratelycalculates patientspayment responsibilityafter third partypayment. Reviews highdollar and/or agedaccounts in order tofacilitate timelyreimbursement fromthird parties. Clearsaccounts with smallbalances by sendingfinal bill to the patientor initiates write-offswhen situationwarrants.
- Collection Activities -Follows up withpatients and families toobtain additionalinsurance informationor to arrange paymentplan. Reviews highdollar and/or agedaccounts in order tofacilitate timelyreimbursement frompatients, governmentalor third party carrier.Clears accounts withsmall balances bysending final bill to thepatient or initiateswrite-offs whensituation warrants.Determines whenaccounts should betransferred to externala/r agency forcollection activities.Demonstratesknowledge ofEpic/Onbase systemcapabilities toinvestigate andresolves collectionproblems.
- External A/R Agencies-Verifies paymentswhich have beencollected through otherchannels (i.e. externala/r agencies) andtakes appropriateaction. Works withexternal a/r agenciesto resolve open issuesregarding accounts.Reviews referrals todetermine appropriateavenue for furthercollection. Reconcilesvendoracknowledgements,status closed reportsandremittances/invoices toensure the integrity ofinactive trial balancesand related financialreports. Reviews andincluding affidavits,bankruptcy notices andestates.
- Customer Service - Greets patients/visitors promptly in a courteous and professional manner. Provides and solicits correct information to and from patients/visitors as needed or requested. Answers telephones and inquiries promptly and courteously. Directs telephone calls and visitors appropriately based on the nature of the inquiry. Resolves routine to complex problems to ensure complete account resolution. Resolves customer inquiries in a willing and thorough manner.
- Correspondence -Preparescorrespondence whichis clear, grammaticallycorrect and meetscontent requirements.Sends out responsespromptly. Routescomplexcorrespondence to theSupervisor andattaches relatedrecords or informationto the correspondence.
- Documents/Forms - Completes the information correctly and neatly (i.e., adjustments, refunds). Initiates documents/forms follow-up as needed in order to expedite or track its progress through the processing system. Secures accurate signatures and forwards documents/forms to the appropriate destination based on the pertinent Medical Center procedure.
- Record keeping/Filling- Records andcalculates theinformation accuratelyaccording todepartmentalprocedures. Maintainsrecords in an organizedand up-to-datemanner; establishesfiling system whichallows for the promptretrieval of allinformation. Completesfiling accurately andpromptly. Maintainsinformation requiredfor audit of thedepartment inaccordance withMedical Center,Federal, State, andCity Agenciesregulations. Reviewsand purges files asappropriate. Assuressupporting documents(i.e. EOBscorrespondences,signatures, etc.) areimaged or otherwisefiled.
- Data Collection -Prepares the requesteddata thoroughly andaccurately. Obtainsinformation withinestablished timeframe. Utilizesappropriate sourcesand assembles data inaccordance withinstructions. Gatherscorrect and up-to-dateinformation. Respondsto requests withinestablished guidelines.
- Judgment/Decision-Making - Demonstrates the ability to exercise good independent judgment based on the application of the appropriate policy or procedure. Obtains and analyzes all pertinent information available in order to make the most informed decision based on factual and objective data. Is able to foresee a potential problem situation, intervenes, if appropriate, or advises supervisory personnel of the situation. Advises appropriate personnel of issues requiring follow-up attention. Uses policy and procedure manuals, office procedure manuals and/or other reference materials as necessary to ensure accuracy and a proper course of action. Uses supplies efficiency in order to minimize waste of materials. Maintains an awareness of the cost impact of decisions and actions.
- Initiative - Makes appropriate suggestions which would enhance or benefit the area or department. Volunteers assistance and guidance to others, when needed. Demonstrates a flexible and cooperative response to departmental changes. Demonstrates an active interest in improving current level of skills and knowledge by pursuing higher education or attaining new skills. Maintains work area in a neat, organized and professional manner. Seeks additional assignments when work is complete.
- Planning and Time Utilization - Demonstrates the ability to recognize, establish, and attends to priorities promptly. Strives to make good use of time during the assigned shift through careful coordination of daily task. Demonstrates flexibility in adjusting to the fluctuating needs of the department and Medical Center. Coordinates own work to achieve an appropriate level of productivity, efficiency and quality services. Is able to organize time efficiently and completes work within established timeframes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have a Associates degree and a minimum of three years of experience in hospital admissions, or medical record or patients accounts or in a related field of which two must be directly related to the position or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of third party payor operations, or medical terminology or hospital admissions required.
- Proficiency with automated patient information or accounting systems.
- Knowledge of personal computers required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Demonstrated leadership ability required
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.