The Meeting Planner is responsible for the planning and execution of several aspects of the association's Annual Conference & Exposition, and is responsible as lead planner for at least one SHRM specialty conference. Provides support to other internal meetings such as SHRM Seminars, Board Meeting and Staff Events. This position reports to the Meetings Manager. In collaboration with Conference Programming, Exhibit Sales/Sponsorships and Conference Marketing, the Meeting Planner maintains a high quality conference experience while adhering to budget and meeting established yearly goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Plan and implement all event logistics including budget management, site selection/visits, hotel contract negotiation, food & beverage, audio visual, transportation, signage orders, general session production/décor, event security, staff/vendor/speaker/VIP hotel arrangements and final bill review/payment for two of the SHRM Specialty Conferences
• Negotiate and review hotel, shuttle service, outside caterers, telecommunication, Internet and other various vendors’ contracts.
• Manage the logistics and implementation of meetings for the VIP meetings
• Establish and maintain relationships with vendors to include hotel sales representatives, transportation, housing, caterers, speakers and security.
• Responsible for multiple aspects of the association's annual convention/meeting
• Spearhead the Volunteer Activities of the Annual Conference & Exposition, managing 800-1000 volunteer workers with a team of 25 Team Leaders.
• Lead/facilitate team planning/informational meetings.
• Contribute to development of department, annual and/or event budget. Review monthly financial statements for accuracy.
• Train & manage on-site temporary and volunteer staff during conference.
• Contribute to preparation of marketing materials, email blasts, brochures and conference Web sites.
• Other duties as assigned
• Customer Service and Detail Oriented
• Excellent organizational skills
• Demonstrated ability to handle stressful situations and multiple deadline-driven projects and priorities with tact and humility
• Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, experience with meeting planning software preferred
• Basic math skills
• 25% travel
• High School diploma or equivalent, Bachelor’s degree preferred
• 5+ years of experience, association environment preferred
• CMP Preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply: www.shrm.jobs
The Society for Human Resource Management is an equal opportunity employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran).
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or TDD (703) 548-6990.