Manager of Policy and Protocol
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Chicago, IL
Reports To: General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer
Team Membership: Human Capital
The UNO Charter School Network (UCSN) believes that all students deserve the opportunity to realize their highest potential. Increasing in diversity but rooted in Hispanic communities, our educational model is anchored by strong parent partnerships, structured learning environments, rigorous curriculum, and an individualized approach that develops and empowers our students. For us, academic success is not a hope; it is an expectation.
Our vision is to develop a diverse group of intellectually curious and passionate civic leaders who act with integrity and who compete and excel locally, nationally, and globally.
Excellence – High Expectations, Growth, Achievement
Integrity – Transparency, Communication
Community – Teamwork, Collaboration
Innovation – 21st Century Learning Environment
Tenacity – “No Excuses, Whatever it Takes”, Passion
Accountability – Ownership, Outcomes, Responsibility
Reports to the General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer. Manages the promulgation of all policies and procedures within the network.
Management of Policy
- Manage the formalized process for vetting, approval, and issuance of all policies and procedures.
- Maintain accessibility to and communication of policies and procedures through a centralized online Employee Manual. Continue to oversee the migration of the Employee Handbook to the Employee Manual
- Regularly meet with department heads to draft, review, and revise as appropriate, policies and procedures that affect their departments
- Manage a continuous improvement cycle by reviewing all policies and procedures on an annual basis and making updates as needed
- Conduct thorough and regular research on federal and state legislation and incorporate applicable requirements into policies
- Implement the issuance of workflows for processes within certain policies
- Communicate new policies as well as key updates or revisions to employees
- Update and maintain the Policy and Protocol page of the DOCK
- Present policies to the Board of Directors
- Maintain records of current policies and procedures as well as the history of all revisions and posting periods
Audit and Training of Policies
- Conduct internal audits to determine existing processes and make recommendations for improvements
- Conduct training sessions for staff on policies and procedures as needed
- Member of the Concussion Oversight Team. Responsible for ensuring that policy and procedure are updated. Review concussion incidents to ensure that procedures are followed
- Responsible for revising, vetting, obtaining approval, ensuring translation, and issuing three separate Student/Family Handbooks
- Plan and organize logistics for the bi-monthly Board of Directors meetings. Provide administrative and logistical support during the board meetings
- Maintain a comprehensive tracking report for all contracts resulting from a formal procurement process. Keep General Counsel apprised of upcoming expiration dates and any discrepancies.
- Communicate with department heads regarding upcoming procurement deadlines and the status of their respective contracts
- Enter FOIA request information into FOIA tracker
- Enter Union grievances received into tracking report
- Provide General Counsel with high level administrative support and assists with special projects as assigned
Customer Driven: Passionate about ensuring that every child, regardless of background or circumstance, receives an excellent education.
Leadership: Coaches, mentors, and challenges others to excel despite obstacles and challenging situations. Builds positive relationships in and out of the organization.
Focus on Data-Driven Results: Makes informed decisions to improve organizational outcomes by utilizing a data-driven approach.
Innovative Problem-Solving: Approaches work with a sense of possibility and sees challenges as opportunities for creative problem solving; takes initiative to explore issues and find potential innovative solutions.
Teamwork: Increases the effectiveness of surrounding teams through collaboration, constant learning and supporting others; sensitive to diversity in all its forms; respects and is committed to learning from others.
Dependability: Does whatever it takes to consistently deliver with high quality under tight deadlines.
Communication Skills: Communicates clearly and compellingly with diverse stakeholders in both oral and written forms; anticipates and responds to stakeholder needs in a high-quality and courteous manner.
Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files. Physically demands require the ability to stand, bend, reach high and low, stoop, and walk around 60% of the day. In addition, walking up and down stairs several times a day. Must be able to lift 15 to 20 pounds for short periods of time and push and pull 15 to 20 lbs.
Majority of work performed in a general office environment. Position requires availability for extended hours plus non-traditional hours required to perform job duties. Also requires participation and attendance at organization-sponsored events and meetings.
NOTE: The foregoing list of essential duties and responsibilities is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
The UNO Charter School Network is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals. The UNO Charter School Network does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.