Summer Assistant, TRIO Upward Bound Program
6-week day and residential program, June 22 - August 5, 2017
Non-benefited, grant-funded position
ABOUT TRIO UPWARD BOUND PROGRAM
The North Shore Community College (NSCC) TRIO Upward Bound (UB) Program is a federally funded program for low-income, first-generation, and/or academically at-risk high school students. The primary mission is to increase the rate at which participants complete their secondary school education, and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education. The UB program is a year-round program that provides academic and extracurricular services including academic year and summer instruction, tutoring, college tours, cultural events, health and fitness activities, educational workshops, and service activities.
ABOUT UB SUMMER ACADEMY
The annual UB Summer Academy is a six-week program that simulates commuter and residential college experiences for high school students. The Academy serves approximately 46 students from the Lynn Public Schools. The Academy is staffed by four Instructors, four Learning Leaders, two Community Team Leaders, and two Program Assistants who work with the full-time program staff to provide an intensive six-week academic experience. The Summer Academy includes a three-week day program at North Shore Community College's Lynn Campus (M-F) and a three-week residential component at UMass Amherst (M-F and weekends).
The Summer Assistants are responsible for general and clerical support of the academic and recreational activities and the residential component during the Summer Academy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide clerical support as needed for the Upward Bound staff, including but not limited to: making copies, taking attendance, answering phones;
- Prepare and set up materials as needed;
- Assist in meal checks and monitoring students in dining hall;
- Assist with classroom and residence hall clean-up during and at the end of the program;
- Assist with editing, organizing, and designing: Yearbook, "POP" Magazine, T-shirt contest;
- Bell Desk duties (student/equipment check in, supply room inventory/maintain supply room);
- Attends mandatory staff training and orientation at NSCC and at the residential site;
- Participate in one-on-one and group staff, student, and all-program meetings;
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervision: Reports to the Academic Coordinator (Special Program Coordinator)
SALARY: Total earnings for this position is $1,540.00 at $11/hour. Benefits also include lunch during the non-residential component (M-F), transportation to UMass Amherst, room and board (3 meals/day) during the residential program, admission and transportation to all activities and events, and access to free wifi.
- Thursday, June 22 and Friday, June 23: 2-day mandatory staff training and prep at NSCC's Lynn campus
- Monday, June 26-July 13 (off July 4): 3-week day program in session at NSCC's Lynn Campus
- Sunday, July 16: Travel (on the bus) to UMass Amherst
- Sunday, July 16: 1 day staff training at UMass Amherst
- Sunday, July 16-Saturday, August 5: 3-week residential program in session at UMass Amherst
Submit a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Qualified candidates will need to bring the following to an interview:
- A valid driver's license and/or state ID
- Name and contact information of 3 references