Financial Accountant - (170000P6)
The University of Maryland, Baltimore office of Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance is currently seeking a Financial Accountant. The Financial Accountant is assigned to specific fields relating to financial and management accounting in the University's Administrative and Finance departments. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining simple accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position will work within deadlines and various accounting activities which could include general ledger preparation, budget and financial reporting, year-end review preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Prepare and distribute accurate and timely month-end, quarterly, and year-end close reports and financial information which may include financial charts, cash flow statement, or budget vs. actual variance analysis.
- Responsible for thorough review of all University assigned financial accounts and expenditures. Determine and document budget, financial, and/or fiscal compliance deficiencies and recommend effective controls.
- Maintain performance compliance with University policies and procedures regarding internal, business, fiscal and operational accountability and compliance. Assist in the coordination of responses to internal and other external agencies, including site visits, desk reviews and audits
- Review accounting entries for compliance with applicable grant and contract terms, Federal and State regulations and University policies and procedures.
- Identify and investigate compliance deficiencies. Conduct budget, financial, and/or fiscal reviews and make recommendations.
- Review financial data for accuracy and clarity. Collaborate with management and internal/external partners to support University goals and objectives.
- Evaluate financial scope and objectives. Perform testing to accomplish reviews and special projects. Assisting campus departments to correct identified deficiencies as needed.
- Support management with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Develop an understanding of contract, grant and cooperative agreement terms and conditions, as well as other administrative rules, cost principles and regulations under OMB guidelines, including the Uniform Guidance, FAR and the NIH Grants Policy Statement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or business related field. A master's in business or related field is preferred and may be substituted for two years of experience.
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in financial or management accounting, budgeting, auditing, assessment of internal controls, or financial analysis required including one (1) year in relevant accounting specialization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of best practices relating to sponsored projects as well as all relevant federal, state, and local rules, regulations, and programs/policies for meeting compliance.
- Strong budget, financial, or fiscal analytical ability.
- Demonstrated ability to implement novel ideas and incorporate methodologies into processes, as well as the ability to identify areas for development and improvement in the operation and the organization.
- Ability to use sound judgment to effectively solve problems within the scope of the position.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- High level of discretion for confidential information; ability to appropriately handle critical information and sensitive situations.
- Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks and shift priorities simultaneously and meet concurrent deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to effectively represent department and interact with all levels of staff and external contacts; ability to work as an effective team member.
- Cooperative and service-oriented attitude; must be able to work under pressure and maintain a professional demeanor.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access).
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E1254E
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: Sponsored Projects Accounting and Compliance
: Apr 24, 2017