NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Support Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate assists the professional staff in the care of patients and families by completing assigned patient care tasks; provides competent, safe, and compassionate care with emphasis on an understanding of the challenges faced by hospitalization, undergoing procedures or diagnostic tests; provides support to the unit in the maintenance and safety of supplies, equipment and the environment; demonstrates NYULMC Core Values in all aspects of job performance.
- Ensures that necessary equipment and supplies are present in the operating rooms and on the unit. Gives direct assistance to all health care surgical team members.
- Maintains cleanliness of the patient care unit as appropriate to position. (i.e., instrument room, sterile supply room, warmers, equipment rooms, clearing of hallways, OR suite).
- Responds to requests for specific tasks as delegated by any registered professional nurse.
- Uses a clear, caring and respectful communication style with patients and families, nurses and other members of the health care team.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Completes delegated responsibilities as directed by the nursing staff. Provides assistance to patients in the activities as applicable. Verbally and non-verbally communicates responsiveness and support to patients, families, and other staff. Completes activities as assigned.
- Assists in maintaining safety and comfort needs of patients and families. Assists with admission, transfer and discharge procedures per unit / service operations. Assists in supporting unit activities as requested. Assists in emergency situations as directed.
- Demonstrates understanding of infection prevention and control standards. Demonstrates understanding and knowledge of sterile technique. Demonstrates an awareness of the needs and behaviors of specific patient age groups and different cultures.
- Utilizes specialized skills and safety when carrying out specific tasks of patient care as assigned.
- Completes annual mandatory competency checklists.
- Participates in the orientation process of new staff and gives guidance to team members unfamiliar with equipment.
- Participates in unit meetings.
- Seeks learning resources for identified learning needs.
- Recognizes own limitations and requests assistance when needed.
- Demonstrates accountability for supplies, equipment, and environmental support.
- Demonstrates respect for patient confidentiality, privacy, dignity, and rights.
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Working knowledge of English is evident in verbal, reading and writing abilities, other language an asset; demonstrates ability in computer skills; demonstrates ability in sterile techniques and equipment readiness for sterile processing
- Minimum of one year experience in the Operating Room setting with certificate of training as an OR Assistant.
- Demonstrates physical stamina, manual dexterity, visual and aural acuity to perform responsibilities
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.