Location: Manhattan - Midtown;
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Application Deadline: May 15, 2017. Metro-North Railroad has the right to remove this posting prior to the application deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 82 million customers annually, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is the busiest commuter railroad in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe commute, great service to its customers and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position will develop Human Resource strategies, procedures and programs in support of the strategic initiatives of Metro-North Railroad (MNR), leveraging the effective utilization of Human Resources, Training and Occupational Health Services (OHS) while ensuring compliance with MTA policies and governmental laws and regulations. Responsible for oversight of Human Resources, the Occupational Health Services Center, Employee Assistance Program and Training and Development functions.
- Oversees the implementation of HR strategies and goals to support MNR’s strategic initiatives, ensuring effective communication of HR policies and practices to all employees
- Ensures the delivery of qualified applicants to hiring departments to meet the staffing requirements of the Agency; increase female and minority employee representation in areas of underutilization
- Ensures all salary adjustments and compensation practices are in compliance with MTA guidelines. Establish strategies for employee retention (career paths), growth and development
- Drives improvement of agency-wide employee availability through the standardization of attendance management practices/controls and use of innovative management/oversight of FMLA usage (third party oversight)
- Collaborates closely with Labor Relations, Legal and Diversity, ensuring compliance with all contracts and regulatory requirements. Maintains effective working relationships and serves as liaison with MTA Headquarters, the BSC and other MTA agencies to ensure proactive collaboration on projects impacting Metro-North
- Ensures effective and efficient customer service to all MNR Departments
- Recommends changes to HR practices to reflect Agency needs as appropriate
- Oversees Occupational Health Services to ensure that employees are healthy and fit to complete their work in a specific work environment. Oversees services (e.g., Case Management services, Sleep Apnea evaluations, Wellness Programs, Health Education materials)
- Collaborates with department heads and provides guidance regarding employee and business issues including but not limited to:
- Change initiatives
- Team building and development
- Reorganization of the Organizational Structure & Succession Planning
- Corrective action
- Diversity initiatives and practices as related to Human Resources and Training
- Create an environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential
- Select, develop and motivate key personnel within the division to ensure management continuity. Represents MNR at external conferences and meetings
HR Core Competencies
Technical HR Expert
- Creates and delivers effective and efficient HR processes and services tailored to unique business needs
- Manages people and HR related costs
- Ensures internal and external customer focus
- Applies information technology to rapidly deliver quality HR products and services
- Demonstrates strong planning, organizational, analytical and communication (verbal, written, presentation) skills
- Has working knowledge of automated Human Resources systems (preferably PeopleSoft) and MS Office Software (Excel, Word, ACCESS and Power Point)
- Develops strategies and helps implement actions that enhance human capital contribution
- Helps build workforce commitment
- Ensures fair, ethical, and equitable people processes and practices
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the company and with outside sources
Strategic Business Partner
- Displays strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and foster teamwork
- Develops and aligns strategies with business and serves as inside consultant for line management
- Assists line managers in solving organization, people and change-related issues
- Contributes to management team's strategic decision-making
- Fosters systems thinking, customer focus, and continuous learning
- Strategically manages workforce development
- Keeps current with HR and business trends
- Demonstrates the ability to change priorities while meeting deadlines
- Understands the organizational culture and what is effective and ineffective
- Demonstrates project planning skills and meets deadlines even as priorities change
- Institutionalizes change capability within the organization
- Helps line managers to lead and facilitate change
- Acts as a consultant in organizational effectiveness
- Enhances management development
VP HR Competencies
- Displays and models strategic business leadership and expertise
- Demonstrates high-level consulting skills
- Articulates and implements HR strategies to support the achievement of business goals
- Models trust, openness, fairness, and respect for the individual in daily behavior
- Leads the development of HR staff to ensure knowledge of multiple human resources disciplines including compensation practices, organizational change, employee relations, diversity initiatives, performance management, and federal and state respective employment laws
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of best practices for occupational health services
- Communicates HR best practices, processes and policies to the executive team
- Ensures prompt resolution of organizational HR issues
- Measures ongoing effectiveness of HR practices and initiates needed changes
Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources Management and/or related field.
Minimum of ten (10) years of blended experience in Human Resources and organizational change in a consultative role within a changing organization environment, including “hands on” experience and knowledge in human resources functions such as recruitment, organizational development, employee engagement and change management.
Minimum of seven (7) years of experience managing professional staff.
- A Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification.
- Master’s Degree with a focus in Human Resources.
- Experience working with a unionized workforce.
To be selected for a position, an applicant must: (1) meet the minimum requirements in the job posting, (2) pass a written examination (if applicable), (3) satisfy a background investigation (which includes credit, if applicable), and (4) pass an oral interview, during which the interviewers will further evaluate the applicant's qualifications for the position. Because the selection process is competitive, not all qualified applicants are granted an interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing.
For applicants who are current employees, you must be in active service and have worked in your present position for at least one (1) year to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, plus on-the-job training, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.) in order to be eligible to transfer. If you are transferred, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present occupation. In addition, Metro-North employees are subjected to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation of their safety and discipline records and their performance assessments.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $91,821.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
If interested, please visit http://web.mta.info/mta/employment/ and Search Vice President – Human Resources, Training and OHS under Metro-North Railroad.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is an Equal Opportunity Employer.