The Director of Finance & Administration provides strategic direction for the New England Foundation for the Arts (NEFA) as a member of the senior management team, along with the Executive Director and the Deputy Director. S/he leads and manages NEFA’s finances and directly oversees 3.5 FTE member finance and operations team. The Director of Finance and Administration is charged with managing, developing, and implementing sophisticated policies and procedures to support and grow NEFA’s finance and operational realms including human resources, facilities, and information technology.
The Director of Finance and Administration will promote a culture of effective communication, high performance, and continuous improvement that values learning, professionalism, and quality. NEFA is committed to creating a positive and welcoming environment for all staff, board members, and constituents who participate in NEFA’s work and programs. The Director of Finance and Administration will be a leader in promoting, evaluating, and enhancing NEFA’s commitment to equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusivity.
The Director of Finance & Administration is a leader in organization-wide strategic decision-making and maintains direct contact with the NEFA board of directors, managing the Finance & Audit Committee and the Investment Committee of the NEFA Board of Directors, and participating in Executive Committee meetings. Specific responsibilities include the following:
· Develops and implements the annual operating budget, oversees development of grant budgets, monitors performance against budget, regularly reports results;
· Cultivates an organizational culture of shared financial management, develops tools for forecasting and scenario planning, brings financial perspective to strategic decisions;
· Presents quarterly financial statements to the senior management team, Finance & Audit Committee, and Board of Directors;
· Oversees accounting and fiscal procedures (to support both internal controls and funder reporting) including payroll, A/P and cash, and monthly close;
· Manages reporting on federal grants and cooperative agreements;
· Manages external audits, including A-133 audit;
· Works with Investment Committee to execute investment policy, implement investment decisions, communicate with investment managers/accounts, oversees creation of quarterly investment reports;
· Manages the participation and engagement of members of the Finance & Audit Committee, and Investment Committee, of the Board of Directors, and effectively communicates and presents critical financial matters to the Board of Directors and senior management;
· Ensures compliance with tax and regulatory requirements;
· Oversees all legal and risk management issues;
· Supervises a Controller and Staff Accountant.
· Develops and oversees the organization’s employment policies, staff structure, compensation and benefits, annual performance assessment, hiring & termination practices, and staff and professional development;
· Oversees administration of employee benefits including health and dental insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, workers compensation, and retirement plan;
· Supervises the HR work of the Executive & Operations Manager and external consultants
· Ensures effective management and support of internal information systems including telephone system, telecom providers, computer hardware and software, and all network infrastructures;
· Oversees appropriate interface of these systems with NEFA’s online tools and services;
· Supervises the Salesforce & IT Administrator.
· Oversees occupancy issues, including maintenance, capital improvements, landlord relationship, ADA/accessibility, and other supports;
· Supervises the operations work of the Executive & Operations Manager
Does this position supervise others? Yes; Controller, Staff Accountant, Salesforce & IT Administrator, and Executive & Operations Manager (dual report to Executive Director)
The Director of Finance and Administration will maintain positive and supportive relationships with her/his director reports and all members of the NEFA staff and Board of Directors. The Director of Finance and Administration should be committed to maintaining an office environment that supports, celebrates, and empowers NEFA’s diverse staff and constituency. The incumbent will interact with and supervise the work of financial, administrative and operations staff daily and is expected to develop positive working relationships with NEFA’s audit partners, legal representatives, landlord, vendors and other external parties.
Financial/Operational Resources Impacted:
$ 7,000,000 – 25,000,000
Decision Making/Problem Solving
Describe the types of independent decisions routinely made by this position and the types of problems routinely solved by this position to ensure the achievement of the essential functions.
The Director of Finance and Administration will: serve as an organizational leader; build complex organizational, program, and proposal budgets; strategize and resolve high-level organizational funding, revenue and growth questions; lead on capital and tech updates and improvements; address, mitigate, and resolve internal operational or staff concerns or conflicts; and field operational inquiries from members of the Board of Directors.