The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting equity and education for women and girls. Since our founding in 1881, AAUW members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political.
AAUW conducts groundbreaking research on issues related to gender equity in education and the workplace. Through new and traditional media, targeted outreach to policymakers, and member efforts, AAUW research serves as a catalyst for action.
The Vice President of Research is responsible for conceptualizing and managing all aspects of the AAUW translational research agenda. She or he is expected to produce high quality reports on gender equity for a national audience, and to serve as a spokesperson for the organization. The Vice President of Research is a member of the leadership team, and participates in strategic planning and fund-raising.
The ideal candidate would have considerable collaborative skills and move easily between the academic, administrative, policy and community constituencies that shape and influence policies which align with AAUW’s mission. She or he has an excellent mind and broad vision, varied interests, a fresh perspective, balanced judgment and creativity; as well as a strong ability to negotiate, sustain, grow, and develop partnerships and interact with key audiences.
- Provide vision, strategy and executive accountability for the AAUW Research Program. Identify, develop, guide, and evaluate the department’s strategic direction, goals, policies, and research plans to ensure sustained superiority and visible mission impact;
- Supervise and manage research staff, interns and consultants;
- Represent AAUW in the media, academic and professional conferences, and other large public gatherings;
- Disseminate AAUW’s research products through papers, studies, reports, infographics, policy briefs, social media, blog features and other Internet communication formats;
- Assist the development team in conceptualizing fund-raising strategies and serve as a speaker at events;
- Collaborate with other AAUW departments to support and develop programs and outreach materials for the public;
- Assist in program evaluation and/or research agenda of AAUW departmental programs;
- Inspire colleagues to employ research in advocacy and programs; and,
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating the departmental budget.