*Cover letter is required with application.*
Summary: Responsible for the design, implementation, security, availability, performance, maintenance and operational support of Oracle databases to support the University’s applications.
- Serves as subject matter expert in Oracle and SQL Server database administration working on problems of diverse scope and complexity.
- Works with business partners to plan, design, create, and maintain databases to support the University’s enterprise applications.
- Determines methods and procedures for database administration.
- Installs, configures, and maintains database software components.
- Implements and maintains database security through established security procedures.
- Responsible for database recoverability, availability, and optimal performance.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least five years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expert knowledge of Oracle database administration skills and with Oracle tools, including Oracle Streams, Oracle DataGuard/Active DataGuard, and EM Cloud Control.
- Expert knowledge using database query tools such as TOAD. Proficient in writing and executing SQL scripts and PL/SQL.
- Proficient with Linux, Unix and Microsoft Windows operating systems, including basic knowledge of virtualization platforms and optimizing databases for operation in a virtual environment.
- Proficiency with shell scripts such as BASH and KORN.
- Uses professional knowledge, experience and analytical criteria to make decisions.
- Ability to work independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments. Receives no instruction on routine work, general instructions on new assignments.
- Availability to work after hours and/or weekends and on-call, as specified by supervisor.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Oracle DBA certification preferred or equivalent experience.
- SQL Server DBA certification preferred or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with higher education administrative business processes strongly preferred.
- Ellucian/Sungard Higher Education Banner experience preferred.
- Experience using cloud services for hosting databases such as AWS and Azure.
- Responsible for own work only.
- Accountable for maintaining the security and confidentiality of any proprietary or sensitive information or data in any medium regarding the university or its students, faculty, or staff. Accessing or disclosing such information or data must be deemed necessary for the performance of one’s job responsibilities and must be authorized by the employee’s supervisor.
- A 'can-do' attitude to meet challenges; energized by change and thriving in team-based work.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and customer service skills and ability to establish good working relationships with a wide range of people within an academic community.
- Project and time management skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities.
Note: This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce, and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.