CUTTING EDGE PUBLIC HEALTH RESEARCH
We are focused on high-risk, high-reward research to reduce the prevalence of tobacco use in the United States, particularly among youth and young adults. The Schroeder Institute at Truth Initiative is a multidisciplinary research group focused on reducing the disease burden of tobacco use behavior.
HOW YOU WILL CONTRIBUTE
The Public Policy and Research Scientist’s role is to assist Truth Initiative’s leadership in conducting and coordinating science and policy-related research to help inform youth and young adult tobacco-related policy and practice. Public policy and research projects may also include areas such as: SI commissioned research studies, knowledge synthesis papers, convening strategic consensus meetings, and comments and other regulatory submissions, mostly but not exclusively at the federal level. In this role, you will lead and participate in internally and existing externally-funded projects, grants and contracts and supervise a team of staff involved in this work. You will provide scientific expertise on tobacco science and policy implications to Truth Initiative and to the broader tobacco control community.
- Assume administrative responsibilities related to the coordination of Tobacco Policy and Research Science, including the management of outside vendors working on research projects that advance Truth Initiative’s policy goals;
- Supervise a team of staff involved in policy-related projects;
- Manage relationships with advocacy, legal, policy, and scientific partners;
- Serve as the lead for internal and external requests related to tobacco science, law, and policy and work closely with other Truth Initiative departments to coordinate efforts;
- Facilitate strategic efforts to build SI’s research in this area; and
- Perform research to inform the regulation of tobacco products and other areas that align with the organizational mission and goals.
WHAT YOU BRING TO US
You should have experience as a research scientist at the equivalent academic level of assistant or associate professor. You should also have experience using scientific evidence in the development of public policy.
You will have a doctorate in public health, economics, health policy, or other social science; have a strong record or demonstrated potential of scholarly research, including content-relevant peer-reviewed publications.
You’re an excellent scientist who embraces team science and who can develop an independent line of research that extends the mission of the Schroeder Institute at Truth Initiative.
Salary is competitive based on experience with EXCELLENT benefits.
Great! Submit your resume to our application system OR mail it to:
Attn: Public Policy and Research Scientist
900 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Fax: (202) 454-5597
No telephone calls please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability.