Title: Learning Pathways Teacher
Reports to: Director of Learning Support
When Needed: 2017-18 Academic Year
FLSA Status: Exempt
FT/PT/R/T: Full-Time Regular, Academic Year - 1 week before school starts, 1 week after school ends
University Prep is seeking a talented, dynamic and compassionate Learning Pathways Teacher to help us advance our vision of being an inclusive community of learners that provides an outstanding education for each individual in a diverse student population. We are looking for someone who can work effectively independently as well as part of a team. We need a leader who understands best practices in teaching reading and writing to students with learning disabilities and who is passionate about teaching to Middle and Upper School students and enhancing student life. We are looking for staff and faculty who share our belief that a culturally rich and inclusive school community provides students with the best possible environment for a quality education. If that sounds like you, we’d like to hear from you. Salary is competitive with public and independent schools. University Prep offers an excellent benefits package, opportunities for professional development, and an extraordinary work environment.
Who We Are:
University Prep is an independent 6-12 school located in an urban residential section of Seattle, WA, one of the country’s most diverse and dynamic cities. We are a strong and vibrant community of students, families, faculty, staff, and alumni who collaboratively create an exceptional educational experience for every student. The school is a place of great teaching and joyful learning; a community that joins together to raise up our children to be caring and productive adults; a place where all students and families have equitable access to all the school has to offer, and a place where every family and student feels equally enfranchised and at home. To us, diversity and inclusivity are not addenda, they are embodied in all facets of our school culture. University Prep believes that our shared values of integrity, respect, and responsibility are essential to accomplish our mission of developing each student’s potential to become an intellectually courageous, socially responsible citizen of the world.
Under general supervision, provides one-on-one and small group instruction in reading and writing to Middle and Upper School students with learning disabilities. Learning Pathways teachers are part of the learning support staff and carry a caseload of students to ensure their overall success at UPrep.
- Provides one-on-one or small group instruction in reading and writing to Middle and Upper School students with learning disabilities
- Serves as a resource for high quality delivery of accommodations in the classrooms in the 6-12 program
- Promotes the Learning Pathways program by assisting with information materials and meetings with prospective parents.
- Uses Orton Gillingham Multi-Sensory instructional techniques
- Actively participates in the co-curricular life of the school outside of the classroom through advising, chaperoning and/or coaching
- Establishes and cultivates community relations by maintaining open dialogue with all of the school’s constituencies
- Vigorously engages in his/her own professional development; is a life-long learner who enhances his/her skills, using state-of-the-art technologies to maintain high standards of performance to efficiently and effectively produce work products
- Reviews admissions files for those applying to the program and makes recommendations for placement
- Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
- Since safety and security are everyone’s responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials and facilities
- Performs other duties as assigned