General DescriptionAs a university-wide, independent, interdisciplinary center, the Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics identifies and addresses key ethical issues in science, clinical care, and public health both locally and globally. The Director of Finance and Administration is seeking a full-time Senior Coordinator in the Office of Finance and Administration, which is responsible for finance, facilities, human resources, special events, and other activities for the Institute. The Senior Coordinator will be responsible for financial transactions, facilities management, budget reconciliations, financial reporting, and administrative support for the Director of Finance & Administration.
Handle key functional aspects of the Institute's facilities and daily operations involving building, activities, equipment, and resources. Assist with building operations and work with Director of Finance and Administration to ensure building systems are working effectively and efficiently (including plumbing, HVAC, housekeeping, etc.). Handle building issues, some of which may be particular to historic/older buildings, and research/propose solutions. Independently identify, evaluate, and contract with companies and contractors to complete facilities related work. Navigate the contract process through negotiation of agreed upon verbiage and costs.
- Create and maintain records tracking system for facilities preventative maintenance, life-cycle replacements, and other related issues as well as serve as the primary point of contact for employees reporting issues. Handle daily facilities requirements, including room set-up for courses and other activities.
- Prepare, approve, and/or serve as backup for financial transactions (purchase orders, online payments, purchase cards, transfers, and others). Reconcile assigned non-sponsored accounts on a monthly basis and identify/resolve financial discrepancies. Thoroughly analyze financial data and assist in the development of financial projections, non-sponsored budgets, and annual budgets.
- Develop, oversee, and plan for computer, software, and A/V purchasing, maintenance, and replacement including forecasting and budgeting. Coordinate IT services for new equipment, maintain inventory records, and organize upgrades as needed. Monitor inventories. Organize equipment (computer, telephone, mail box, and desk space) and access (building and printer) for new employees.
- Identify, propose, and initiate refinements and generate new approaches to solving BI operational challenges with creative problem solving and strategic thinking. Develop policy and procedure manuals for the Institute. Represent BI in internal (JHU) and external relationships with professionalism and diplomacy.
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Finance and Administration. Create and manage task files and follow up daily on activities and projects, staying informed regarding all ongoing projects for the Director. Monitor shared email in-box, forwarding and responding to messages as appropriate. Handle calendar, schedule appointments, arrange travel, and organize meetings for the Director with a variety of constituencies. Prepare meeting materials, answer phones, and maintain electronic and paper files. Exercise a high level of independent judgment in handling requests and resolving issues. Effectively communicate with academic and administrative leaders, faculty, students, and other staff, on behalf of the director.
- Produce reports using Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, and other software. Draft financial memos and reports, correspondence, and other documents on behalf of the Director for dissemination to a wide range of university leadership, faculty, and staff. Proofread and edit confidential and sensitive information, and prepare official documents for signature. Design/maintain electronic and physical filing systems to include: filing, retrieval, storage, coding, updating, and destructions.
- Handle special projects and other duties as required.