The Senior Systems Administrator completes efforts and projects related to the design, installation, operation, support, upgrades and maintenance of infrastructure, including software, servers, networking and storage. Administers, maintains and supports complex and critical infrastructure. This role provides user support for server hosting requests, problem resolution, system changes and upgrades. This position analyzes infrastructure performance and resolves problems or makes appropriate recommendations. The Senior Systems Administrator ensures that all aspects of operability are delivered as part of the implementation process while also ensuring that existing service level is maintained or improved. This position contributes to and ensures full compliance to operational standards, procedures and best practices.
- This position is a member of the NUIT emergency response team and may be called at any time to address emergency situations on site on either campus.
- During certain times of the year, work hours may be extended or shifted to meet the need for staff during critical operational support activities.
- 15-20% of work may take place outside of normal University business hours.
- Normal duties may require travel between campuses.
- Incumbent will be required to participate in rotating 24x7 on-call duties.
- Leads planning, development, and coordination of operations and projects for current and future infrastructures.
- Anticipates impact of growth and changes in operations, and recommends design and/or process changes.
- Participates in disaster recovery/business continuity planning including backup and recovery procedures and higher availability configurations.
- Monitors application performance on servers.
- Evaluates and manages appropriate software and hardware allocations to achieve an optimum performance level.
- Performs capacity planning for projecting future growth.
- In collaboration with development project teams, builds, rebuilds, and/or updates servers and configures hardware and virtual machines (VM), applications, peripherals, services, networking, storage.
- Leads troubleshooting of application, operating system(s) server hardware, network communications and storage problems within infrastructure.
- Provides a second level of support; leads service incident and problem resolution efforts to support entrusted applications/products.
- Provides user support on deployed servers.
- Consults on best practices to users.
- Provides data and metrics to support sizing requirements and performance tuning decisions. Participate in related decision processes with managers and leads.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree or 4 years equivalent experience; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 4 years system administration or equivalent experience required.
- Please see information highlighted below:
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Apache, LDAP, Linux Operating System, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook), Tomcat, Windows Operating System.
- Analytical: critical thinking, problem solving, troubleshooting.
- Project: Collaboration and teamwork, facilitate collaboration, functional documentation, organizational skills, planning.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Proficient installing, configuring, supporting complex Linux infrastructure environments.
- Skilled installing, configuring, supporting three tier environments (web-app-DB)MS SQL Server
- Customer focus and ability to understand customer needs
- Experienced effectively communicating with a variety of people in different roles, e.g., clients,
- management and technical staff.
- Strong oral and written and communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate the activities of a diverse set of IT resources in a matrix environment, while performing multiple roles of server and application support, providing technical consultation and project coordination
- Proficient scripting and troubleshooting scripts
- Proven ability to prioritize, organize, and multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Proven collaboration & team work abilities; proven initiative, established professionalism and proficiency, basic project management experience, technical documentation skills
- Experience installing, configuring, supporting complex Windows server based infrastructure environments
- Proficient with MS Excel, Word and Visio.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- 2 – 6 years’ experience working with large scale 3 tier environments (20 + servers; web server, app server, database)
- 4 years’ systems administration or equivalent experience
- Advanced technical training with Linux and Windows
- 4 years’ system administration or equivalent experience
- 4-6 years’ administration experience with primarily Linux server O/S
- Strong trouble shooting skills with the ability to understand an environment and how to troubleshoot at the environment level (network, hardware, application, database, etc.)
- Proven experience to quickly troubleshoot and fix difficult technical problems
- 4 years of progressively responsible experience installing, supporting and managing application software and related hardware and software infrastructure
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Experience with large scale three tier applications
- Knowledge of industry-standard best practices for IT support (e.g., ITIL) change control, project management, and software development
- Advanced planning and organizational skills
- Advanced experience with MS Excel, Word, and Visio
- Experience with an organized, well documented approach to project managing large projects.
- Negotiation and conflict management abilities, advanced communication and organizational skills
- Some business analysis experience
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.