The School of Dentistry has an exciting opportunity to be part of a mature data visualization capability using Tableau. The school is pursuing a creative and challenging initiative to establish a dental electronic health record (EHR) in the cloud and will be blending this future data into our Business Intelligence data management plan. This position will implement data visualization, update existing dashboards, and create new BI implementations as part of a high performing and innovative team in support of health, education and research informatics. Key duties of the role include:
• Act as lead Tableau and reporting expert during the transition period to the new EHR.
• Analyze options for optimal use of the EHR, assist with remaining operational reports in the EHR, and overlay with strategic BI dashboards.
• Collaborate with clinics and users to internalize clinic processes, learn the EHR data to guide sound decision making, configure options and propose viable solutions.
• Keep current Tableau reports reliable and in sync with data and process changes.
There will be evolving needs and opportunities that require a flexible approach during the transition period. This role will assist the team with quality service, reliability, stability and credibility of the replacement EHR in this most significant undertaking.
Develop Organizational Understanding of the Business of Patient Care, Education, Research and Related Processes and Information Sources
- Develop a comprehensive and cross-functional understanding of clinical, teaching and research processes for faculty, staff and students for patient care, education and research missions.
- Learn and internalize campus and publicly available data-sets to enhance value of business intelligence reporting for departments.
- Lead master data management planning with data sources and access, and assist with modeling and building data mapping for collaborations, interoperability, web services, or migrations.
- Support strategic assessments and initiatives by applying qualitative and quantitative methods, modeling and analytical techniques.
Develop and Present Business Intelligence Options, Solutions, Visualizations, and Dashboards
- Understand reporting needs to maintain existing reporting capabilities while developing new tools and capability that drive business value. Current technologies include Tableau, PL/SQL, Crystal, Sheets/Excel, Business Objects, PHP and proprietary organization.
- Help assess data quality and completeness, and provide data to web based applications whether developed by us or cloud service provider. Verify, integrate or link access of an increasing variety of data sets. Assume key responsibility for data centric projects. Ensure visualizations.
Functional and technical coordination of projects
- Utilize collaborative methods and documentation tools to assure successful incorporation of solutions.
- Facilitate successful change management through immersion in client environment, testing, support, training, documentation, and compliance, efforts and using a variety of methods such as agile, lean, collaborative, and liberating structures.
- Partner with other universities and informatics specialists to share efforts, leverage successes, promote shared reports and enhance value.
Other systems projects as assigned for support, data delivery and integration.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT or related quantitative field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in industry.
- 2-3 years for Senior level experience with Tableau development, visualization techniques, and dashboards.
- Advancing ability with BI requirements gathering, metrics definition, process mapping, and formal testing is necessary.
- Excellent communication skills are required as demonstrated by building relationships, open and friendly interactions, initiating communication, responding to others in a timely manner, respecting diversity and the opinion of others, and exhibiting a confident and positive attitude.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to multitask
- Commensurate experience with other query tools like SQL or PL/SQL; report writers like Crystal Reports or Business Objects; and Databases like Oracle and MySQL
- Commensurate education and experience with health information qualitative analysis, data management, outcomes assessment and publication writing
- Familiarity with cloud data integration or web services is a plus
- Experience in healthcare information systems
This position may be underfilled at the lower classification of Intermediate level. Salary range and position are dependent upon the qualifications and experience. The requirements listed above reflect the Senior level, but those with less years of experience are also encouraged to apply. Salary range for the Intermediate level: $70,000-79,000.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in the industry.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience with Tableuau, development, visualization techiniques, and dashboards
Occassional evening or weekend work is required to test, upgrade or maintain solutions during off hours
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
M-Dentistry Mission: Advancing health through education, service, research and discovery.
Successful candidates will be expected to demonstrate in this role the following core values, but not limited to:
Compassion: Encourage a culture of collaboration, collegiality and helpfulness based on empathy and respect.
Leadership: Shape the future leaders of dentistry.
Excellence: Intend to be the best at all we do.
Responsibility: Promote integrity, professionalism, and accountability to ensure ethical decision making.
Trust: Commit to honest transparent communication to build relationships.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.