NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Departmental Secretary.
This position is responsible for the office operation of the department and serves as secretary to a department head.
- Processes receipt and shipping of loaner, rental and defective equipment. Prepares the departmental weekly payroll for approval. Runs attendance/punctuality reports from the departmental sign-in system.
- Sets up and maintains files and complex records of departmental and program activities. Maintains records in an organized and up-to-date manner; establishes filing system which allows for prompt retrieval of all information. Completes filing accurately and promptly. Maintains information for the department in accordance with departmental, Medical Center, Federal, State, and City Agency regulations. Periodically reviews files to check whether renewals are due, copies are clear, or whether additional information is necessary; initiates corrective follow-up. Reviews and purges files as appropriate.
- Greets, directs, and responds to the needs and requests of the staff, patients, and general public. Answers telephones and inquiries promptly, professionally, and courteously; identifies the department when answering the phone. Directs telephone calls and visitors appropriately based on content of inquiry. Obtains information, answers questions, and resolves routinely moderate problems in accordance with departmental, and/or Medical Center policies and procedures. Takes messages accurately, dates them (with day/time), and conveys them on a timely basis.
- Orders and maintains an inventory of supplies for the departments. Ensures there is an adequate level of supplies available on an ongoing basis while adhering to budgetary restrictions. Orders supplies on regularly specified basis and processes any exceptions upon request. Order the correct type of supply based on supervisors instructions and/or past practice; initiates follow-up with the Vendor/General Stores, Purchasing, Receiving, Accounts Payable or Printing as needed. Understands the use and purpose of departmental supplies in order to suggest alternative supplies and sources or answer related questions concerning the supplies. Arranges for the repair/removal of malfunctioning equipment according to the supervisors instructions.
- Assists in the selection and evaluation of clerical staff and provides them with initial training and ongoing guidance. Makes recommendations and provides feedback for evaluations which are fair, accurate, and objective based on qualifications/performance. Follows personnel and departmental guidelines when interviewing or evaluating personnel. Ensures that the supervisor is kept aware of the performance of each employee on an ongoing basis. Trains employees effectively in the procedures of the department and pertinent Medical Center policies. Offers continuing guidance and assistance to employees on work activities, procedures, and performance-related issues as appropriate.
- Assigns, directs, and coordinates the work of subordinate clerical staff. Utilizes personnel efficiently by delegating assignments based on the employees skill and ability in order to meet deadline and establish adequate personnel coverage. Monitors assignments to ensure neatness, accuracy, and completion. Ensures that tasks are completed in accordance with established practices.
- Collects, updates, and summarizes data and statistics for the department. Submits data to the supervisor which is neat and well-written. Requested and related information is accurate and complete. Utilizes appropriate sources to complete the assignment. Obtains appropriate data sufficient to satisfy the project requirements.
- Composes, prepares, and edits general correspondence. Prepares responses which are clear, grammatically correct, and meet content requirements. Completes responses and send them out promptly. Properly formats responses. Routes complex correspondence to the supervisor and attaches related records or information to the correspondence.
- Takes and transcribes complex dictation. Types materials neatly and accurately; utilizes the Dictaphone proficiently when required. Types and transcribes materials promptly. Proofreads, edits, properly organizes, and formats the typewritten materials. Uses the word processor efficiently; contacts the service/maintenance company for needed repairs and makes suggestions to the supervisor for software/hardware enhancements.
- Assists in the preparation of the departmental or program budget. Compiles and assembles basic information needed for the budget based on past practice or supervisors instructions. Calculates the figures correctly. Verifies and records revenues and expenses accurately. Resolves discrepancies and maintains records according to departmental procedure. Makes recommendations for the enhancement of financial recordkeeping systems.
- Assists in maintaining contact with sections in the department and other NYUMC departments. Plans and coordinates interrelated activities effectively and efficiently according to schedule. Makes requests to other areas, allowing them sufficient time to reply; he/she, in turn, responds quickly in order to ensure efficient coordination of activities. Conveys the correct information to involved parties. Schedules appointments and conferences, confirms attendance, and facilitates program operation. Attends meetings and participates on committees, as required; prepared minutes as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be a graduate of a business/secretarial school or equivalent combination of academic and experience background.
- Four years of responsible secretarial experience required.
- Typing (60 wpm) and steno (80 wpm) or dictaphone required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and word processing necessary.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.