General purpose: The Studio Manager is responsible for the advancement of safety, equipment, facilities, and culture in the Dolphin Design Studio. The manager provides technical expertise to students and faculty through curricular engagement and co-curricular initiatives ensuring the highest level of creative fabrication research.
Summary of Essential Functions
• Oversee the operations and maintenance of the Dolphin Design Studio, ensuring that all equipment functions effectively and safely, the facilities are clean and efficient, and supplies are stocked and available
• Serve as the Dolphin Design Studio subject matter expert and work with all faculty and students within the area to help ensure safe, effective, and advanced practices
• Manage the employment life cycle (includes hiring, scheduling, and training) of non-work study students
• Train, schedule, and manage work study students
• Manage the departmental budgets in coordination with the Director of Fabrication Studios and make necessary purchases of equipment, tools, and materials to ensure the studio is fully equipped
• Mentor and act as a technical and fabrication expert consultant to students
• Design, execute, and implement in-house facility and equipment renovations such as; shop fixtures, work tables, organizational components, etc.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop, implement, communicate, maintain, enforce, and update a safety program that complies with MICA EHS, OSHA standards and best practices within the Dolphin Design Studio. To include; MSDS (SDS), LOTO, student, student employee, faculty, and staff training, regular equipment inspection, repair, and recording, hazardous waste management.
• Oversee daily operations of the studio, which includes management and organization of the physical departmental space.
• Conduct research to identify improvements that advance capabilities of fabrication research within the discipline
• Track open-source and commercial technologies related to the digital fabrication and provide recommendations
regarding software, tools, and emerging technologies
• Ensure all tools and equipment are operating with the highest level of functionality and safety, while making repairs as necessary.
• Serve as expert consultant and assist respective Operations department staff with management of Dolphin Deisgn Studio renovations and physical plant maintenance.
• Develop instructions and guides (and subsequent updates) to be included in the Dolphin Design Studio manual including online tutorials for processes and software.
• Develop and conduct workshops, with support from the Director of Fabrication Studios, on relevant fabrication processes for undergraduate and graduate students.
• Assist in establishing and maintaining the Dolphin Design Studio portion of the MICA website.
• Manage the end of semester turnover of Dolphin Design Studio to ensure successful start-up of the following semester.
• Work in coordination with TSS department to ensure that all computers in the Dolphin Design Studio effectively support the needs of the studio and classes therein
• Communicate with TSS the need for software updates as they are identified. Test configurations and provide feedback.
• Work with the Director of Fabrication Studios to ensure that the Dolphin Design Studio is an effective learning environment, balanced with the need for the facility to function as a campus-wide resource
• Establish controlled access to computers and equipment in the Dolphin Design Studio with guidance from the Director of Fabrication Studios and support from TSS.
• Orient and train the members of the faculty, staff, students and the greater MICA community that use the Dolphin Design Studio on policies and procedures specific to the area
• Perform other related duties as assigned.