Library and Information Technology at Bucknell is a unified organization that has evolved dramatically in the past decade, shedding over time many of the distinctions that frequently separate university library and information technology departments. Since 2008, the organization, comprised of eighty-five staff members, has been led by Param Bedi, Vice President for Library and Information Technology. Under his direction, Library and Information Technology's leadership team has helped usher in a new spirit - a paradigm shift that has moved the organization from transactional to transformational. The division cherishes and carefully maintains its highly interactive work environment, and as such anticipates hiring a cataloging and metadata coordinator who is committed to hard work, collegiality, and laughter as a member of a team-oriented group. In general, we seek colleagues who are naturally curious, exhibit an openness to our existing affinity for inclusion and diversity of all sorts, who possess a willingness to change, and who embrace all that is made possible through collaboration. This staff position (12 months, benefits-eligible) reports to the Head of Discovery and Access Services.
The Cataloging and Metadata Coordinator will oversee all aspects of the Bertrand Library's cataloging operations, including supervision of two cataloging specialists and an acquisitions specialist. The coordinator will be expected to perform original cataloging or cataloging based on non-LC data as necessary. This position will also provide guidance and support for metadata-rich digital initiative projects, including the management of digital collections and repositories. The coordinator will serve on cross-divisional working groups, often working with teaching faculty directly, as a resident expert on metadata management.
To ensure that staff, resources and processes are in place to provide efficient and effective cataloging and metadata services. Position oversees the daily library's cataloging operations and metadata initiatives, ensuring smooth and efficient workflow. In addition, prepares library materials for public use in a timely manner, and is expected to work independently, researching problems and making appropriate decisions without direct daily supervision. Performs original cataloging or cataloging based on non-Library of Congress data. Works directly with library vendors to establish shelf-ready book cataloging and processing specifications. Supervises the cataloging of new books with the Library of Congress cataloging copy, assisting as necessary. Requires knowledge of cataloging rules (RDA), Library of Congress classification and subject headings, and MARC format. Performs cataloging for the library's Special Collections and enhances records by adding physical description notes and rare book genre subject terms. Creates and oversees digital initiative projects, and reviews and edits metadata for digital collections and repositories. Oversees quality control for non-MARC metadata processes and projects as assigned. Maintains a working knowledge and develops an expertise regarding established and emerging metadata schema, standards, best practices and their application (e.g., DC, MODS, VRA, Geospatial metadata, OAI-PMH). Position reports directly to the Head of Discovery and Access Services.
- Manages the cataloging of new materials for the library collection, with personal responsibility for most original, non-DLC and rush cataloging. Duties include descriptive cataloging, assignment of call numbers and subject headings and verification of authorized headings.
- Supervise two cataloging specialists and one acquisitions specialist.
- Hire, train and supervise student assistants as necessary.
- Provides other cataloging support as needed, as well as special projects.
- Performs cataloging for the library's Special Collections, adding physical description notes and rare book genre subject terms.
- Creates, reviews and edits metadata for digital collections.
- Manages Bucknell University's institutional repositories, such as Digital Commons and Shared Shelf.
- Collaborates in the selection, design, and adaptation of metadata schema and controlled vocabularies.
- Participates in the evaluation of the effectiveness of catalog data and metadata for resource discovery.
- Remains current with metadata and cataloging standards and digital library development.
- 3-5 years' experience in cataloging/metadata management
- Knowledge of RDA and LC classification and subject headings
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent professional experience including project management, leadership (including direct supervision), and demonstrated communications skills. MLS/MLIS or master's degree and relevant experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of office applications, and the ability to learn and perform automated library systems tasks are required.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Flexibility and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to write clear, accurate process documentation and business communications.
Bucknell University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities.
Bucknell University believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Bucknell University is a private, highly ranked, national liberal arts institution that also offers strong professional programs in engineering, business, education, and music. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an architectural gem that has been ranked as one of America's best small towns.
Bucknell is a NCAA Division I (FCS) and Patriot League member institution, that sponsors 27 varsity athletics programs.