Myelosuppression, Oncology, Bone Marrow Transplant Nurse
$10,000 Signing Bonus: Minimum BSN and 6 Months of Nursing Experience
Relocation Assistance Provided
Requisition Number 1608072
To apply on line:
Go to www.VanderbiltMedicalCareers.org
Click this link to see our Medical Center in Nashville:
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Stop by our Booth #475 at ONS in the Career Center and Register to Win a FREE iPAD
This unit is a 34 bed step-down unit that specializes in stem cell transplants, malignant hematology and clinical trials. Our patient focus is on family-centered patient care and maintaining the patient’s quality of life.
A typical shift for our nurses includes caring for patients with the assistance of a care partner; administering chemotherapy, blood products, a variety of medications, reviewing laboratory findings and collaborating with the medical team to assess and address goals of care; educating patients on disease and treatment options. We are dedicated to providing a fulfilling and high energy work environment. Our nurses and care partners have a unique perspective on compassion and a strong belief in the enormous potential of cancer survivorship.
Our multidisciplinary team follows the span of our patients' lives through their physicality, frailties, suffering and successes while promoting wellness and self-care.
Due to prolonged inpatient stays, our team strives to create an environment that benefits patients, families, and staff through local charities, volunteers, and staff and management-lead committees. We continually work to improve and grow, championing all involved to continue to provide the best in cancer care.
- A 34-bed positive air flow heap-filtration unit
- Dedicated to providing care to Vanderbilt’s Cancer Patient Population who require a higher level of care
- Part of Vanderbilt’s Critical Care Tower and we opened in 2012
- A unit who supports our Cancer Caregivers – They are provided with access to showers and laundry facilities, and there is a dedicated family zone in each patient room
- Dedicated to the physical rehabilitation of our patients as we know cancer can have devastating effects. A Rehabilitation room has been created, with a recumbent bicycle, elliptical machine and ballet barre
- A unit with a nurse patient ratio of 1:3 or 1:4
- A minimum of six months of experience as a nurse is required
- One year of experience is preferred
- Achievement of chemotherapy certification is required during first year of employment (training, support and resources provided by leadership for successful certification)
- For more information regarding the physical requirements and environmental conditions for this job, please click here.
Preferred, but not required:
- Oncology experience and existing chemotherapy certification
- Oncology nurse certification
This is a 12-hour shift, 36 hours per week. The schedule is made for six weeks which will include 12 weekend shifts (Friday and Saturday nights). Nurses are required to work five weekend shifts out of the 12 weekend shifts available in a the 6-week schedule. We offer self-scheduling.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
- Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
- US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology (Bill Wilkerson Center), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
- Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
- Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
- The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
- National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
- Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
- Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
- American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Our Nursing Philosophy
We believe highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s mission of quality in patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
Achieve the Remarkable Learn more about VUMC Nursing: