The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) is The Voice of Dental Education. Its members include all 76 U.S. and Canadian dental schools, over 800 allied and advanced dental education programs, 66 corporations and more than 20,000 individuals.
The mission of ADEA is to lead institutions and individuals in the dental education community to address contemporary issues influencing education, research and the delivery of oral health care for the overall health and safety of the public.
ADEA’s activities encompass a wide range of research, advocacy, faculty development, meetings and communications, including the esteemed Journal of Dental Education, as well as the dental school admissions services ADEA AADSAS, ADEA PASS, ADEA DHCAS and ADEA CAAPID.
ADEA is seeking to add an experienced Director of Software and Data Services to its team of high-performing professionals.
The Director of Software and Data Services is responsible for managing and supporting the delivery of business results from ADEA’s software infrastructure, interfacing with ADEA technical staff and end users, managing vendor relationships and serving as a resource for strategic and tactical business planning. While the primary focus will be on ADEA’s AMS, Association Anywhere, involvement with other software solutions will be expected. The incumbent serves in a leadership role focused on improving the quality, integrity, consistency and completeness of ADEA’s data resources. He/she leads the planning, design and implementation of the strategy for optimizing the organization’s AMS database and other information assets. This is a “player-coach” position that will involve both mentoring and direct, hands-on performance.
Deliver Business Value via software: The Director of Software and Data Services is responsible for implementing processes and procedures to successfully deliver information oriented business results. The ability to understand, organize and integrate data drawn from multiple sources is a key requirement. Managing and controlling projects such as data connections between multiple software solutions and the AMS, so that the AMS can be trusted and used as a “single source of truth” is a high priority responsibility. This priority also presumes taking “big picture” responsibility for data quality processes and overall data integrity.
Manage vendor services: Manage vendor relationships and work within established budget parameters to achieve results at reasonable cost.
Internal Development: Improve application performance through database optimization; identify opportunities to increase productivity, improve data integrity, and reduce costs for database management. Using SQL knowledge and tools, reporting skills and other general database skills, manage the “first stop” process to accommodate prioritized user requests. Manage the relationships and processes with vendors for needs that cannot be satisfied internally.
User Support: The Director of Software and Data Services is responsible for managing the end user experience with supported software solution results. This involves such elements as efficient and effective management and resolution of all incidents and issues related to the AMS and other assigned software. This position is responsible for coordinating support elements involving the 3rd party vendor(s) that provide support and maintenance to ADEA’s primary information sources.
Quality: Responsibilities include working collaboratively with the IT&WS Team Leader to establish quality expectations and to ensure compliance with these expectations.
Personal skills: The Director of Software and Data Services has the drive and the organizational, managerial, analytical and interpersonal skills to deliver effective results on multiple projects that intersect with numerous aspects of data-driven information acquisition and delivery at ADEA. The ability to effectively multi-task with minimal supervision in a deadline-driven environment is required, along with strong, team-oriented interpersonal skills.
- Working closely with the IT&WS Team Leader, manage and guide project initiatives that may involve internal resources, vendors (e.g., developers, analysts and support specialists), and individual users in the pursuit of the following:
- Overseeing and performing processes that successfully deliver information (data) oriented business results to ADEA staff and external constituents
- Ensuring quality of all reports issued from the ADEA database(s), particularly AA.
- Implement new enhancement to database solutions
- Assess, develop and improve data quality standards and controls
- Implement metrics to reduce data issues and measure performance; make recommendations for process improvements based on results
- Managing and controlling projects so that the AMS can be trusted and used as a “single source of truth” for customer and member data
- Overseeing and assuring the data integrity of electronic individual and organizational records in the AMS and in other associated or integrated software packages. Build and execute quality assurance checks to test data integrity as needed.
- Enhancing ADEA staff’s ability to use ADEA’s software data resource in their tactical business pursuits
- Coordinating data mapping and data translation activities, working to increase accuracy
- Extracting data from multiple sources, standardizing the data, and producing requested analyses
- Creating ongoing and ad hoc reports with appropriate metadata and quality information – where possible providing “standard” reports for users to pull directly
- Evaluating the functionality of relevant system solutions
- Coordinating or providing user training, support, advice and feedback
- Overseeing and/or performing as the PM or Business Analyst on data initiatives, including:
- Consulting with users to ascertain needs and ensuring that ADEA’s software solutions meet user or project requirements
- Coordinating with partners to define scope and act as the ADEA PM or point of contact
- Recommending process improvements that become apparent during the project management process
- Designing maintenance procedures and putting them into operation
- Documenting database structures and defining data elements to enable re-use of data
- Planning and implementing effective testing processes to ensure that deliverables adhere to standards
- Collaborating with key stakeholders to:
- Ensure effective resolution of support tickets
- Design and implement changes to database schemas/models of the development, staging, and production environments.
- Plan and deliver data integration solutions with external database systems that are consistent, reliable, secure, efficient, and leverage industry best practices
- Plan, implement, and evolve enterprise-level Database and Business Intelligence solutions that provide easy access to timely, relevant, and value-added data that improves management decision making
- Document and maintain a current understanding of the Association’s data, data sources, data flows, and business rules regarding data; map business processes to data models
- Scheduling and coordinating testing for software upgrades or enhancements
- Assuring quality in all aspects of areas of responsibility – institute measurements that can track quality trends
- Managing software budgets as requested by Team Leader
- Taking responsibility for personal skill maintenance, skill building and overall personal development
- Performing additional ad hoc analysis as needed and other related duties as assigned
Success Indicators (or First Year Outcomes (for new hires)
- Manage ADEA’s continuous improvement initiative for Association Anywhere.
- Assure that critical data base and reporting skills are backed up by cross training and task sharing with both the ADEA staff and the IT&WS staff.
- Implement a formal data quality initiative with the objective of data cleansing and overall data quality improvement, particularly relating to Association Anywhere.
- Manage stakeholder satisfaction with services and data “products” delivered. Track using relevant metrics. Show continuous improvement.
- Assume responsibility for the data ecosystem at ADEA. Manage the delivery of data to stakeholders by stakeholder training or by direct action.
- Manage vendor relationships and work within established budget parameters to achieve results from vendors at reasonable cost.