Research Project Coordinator - (170000PN)
The Division of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Maryland, Baltimore School ofMedicine is currently seeking a Research Project Coordinator. TheResearch Project Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the day-to-dayoperations of one or more research studies or clinical trial protocols in the Divisionof Cardiac Surgery. The position coordinates data collection and maintenance, project evaluation, meeting scheduling, andresearch subject interfacing. The Research Project Coordinator adheres to goodclinical practices, study protocols, and applicable regulations; conductscomplex work and contributes to measurable team objectives; and uses discretionto provide solutions to issues. Performs work that is varied and that does not followprescribed procedures or processes and is responsible for effective operationsand use of resources, rather than clinical outcomes.
The Division of Cardiac Surgery is committed to the advancement, newtechnology and academic exchange in the treatment of Cardiac Care. Our focus ison quality multidisciplinary care for patients with Heart and Lung disease. Weare leaders in the region and provide tertiary and quaternary care foraffiliate hospitals in the system, regional and out of state. Our ClinicalResearch Unit is part of our mission to be leaders in research and innovationand part of our academic commitment to the UM SOM. The Division currently has aportfolio of trials related to new surgical procedures, new devices, arrhythmiatreatments, stem cell technology, registries, treatment for diseased valves,and other protocols. The Division participates in the NHLBI specializedcardiothoracic surgical trial research. Research and registry data is used todrive quality and innovation while focused on academic contribution viaprofessional articles, abstracts and presentations.
**This is a FULL-TIME, CONTRACTUAL position**
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 10 vacation days, 11 personal and holidays, 5 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and supplemental retirement options; and limited tuition remission for employees enrolled at UMB.
- Independentlycoordinates and communicates directly with the Principle Investigator, studyparticipants, and sponsors to manage the operation and evaluation activities ofthe research studies or clinical trials. Serves as primary liaison for study participants,research personnel, support staff, and outside agencies such as the IRB.
- Responsiblefor ensuring optimum efficiency and monitors activities to ensure compliancewith protocols and all relevant local, federal, and state regulatory andinstitutional policies. Identifies and resolves non-compliant issues by usingevaluation techniques, originality, and ingenuity.
- Developappropriate regulatory reports and associated documentation in accordance withSOPs and study or trial specific processes. Develop and produce routine and non-routinereports of study data or study progress for study sponsors, PrincipleInvestigator(s) and other research and clinical team members. Develop reportssummarizing study deviations from protocol and communications with IRB.
- Recruitsand screens patients to participate in research studies. Develops recruitmentstreams and advises participants of study objective, requirements, risks,benefits and obtains their consent and enrollment.
- Lead thecollection and management of study data by developing data collection tools, establishing and maintaining databases,and performing data quality checks. Develops and implements new processes toimprove effectiveness and efficiency of data collection and evaluation. Track,report, and audit study data and regulatory study documentation. May supervisethose who perform data entry.
- Analyzesdata and draws conclusions in order to make recommendations to improve studyefficiency or effectiveness. Contributesmeaningful content to enhance publications or grant applications.
- Assistsin budget development, expenditure adherence, and maintenance of inventory onequipment and supplies.
- May obtain,processes, and transport specimens to appropriate laboratory according to establishedaseptic technique. May performvenipunctures and finger sticks to obtain blood specimens.
- Performs other relatedduties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Biology, Psychology, Sociology, Nursing, Emergency services, Chemistry, Public health, or another discipline appropriate to position.
Experience: Prior experience in coordinating clinical research or nursing strongly preferred.
OR Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience.*
*Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research, as appropriate, or Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least one year experience in a field directly related to the research. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year experience.
Other: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possesses a knowledge of position requirements and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws.
- Knowledge in best practices of coordinating clinical research studies.
- Ability to understand and utilized scientific/medical terminology and research theory.
- Ability to gain knowledge and meet the reporting needs of UMB policies and practices for Institutional Review, Human Protections, Animal Protections, etc.
- Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base.
- Skill in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and processes.Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E3314C
Employee Class Exempt Contingent II
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
: Apr 19, 2017
: May 8, 2017, 11:59:00 PM