The Business Administrator (BA) is one of the senior administrative positions in NAISE (Northwestern Argonne Institute of Science and Engineering) and assists in providing thought leadership in reviewing and recommending policy and procedure designed to enhance operational excellence. This role ensures the effective, compliant, and efficient daily management of all operational, financial, and business functions in support of the mission of NAISE, which is to enhance collaboration between Northwestern and Argonne by bridging the two institutions from an administrative standpoint. This will be done in close coordination with Argonne as well as central offices such as OSR, ASRSP, HR, Budget, Facilities, IT, and Provost. Participates on internal and external administrative affairs by recommending alternatives and suggestions.
Please Note: Position will require presence 1-2xs/week at Argonne National Laboratory in Lemont
Budget and Financial:
- Serves a primary role in the development and implementation of annual budget including fiscal resource allocation of appropriated, discretionary, endowment and gift revenues.
- Typically involved in the budget management of numerous research grants.
- Responsible for payroll, purchasing, travel and entertainment (TandE) transactions and requesting new chartstrings using NU protocol.
- Prepares faculty salary recovery and summer salary.
- Oversees prompt payment of invoices and related research of errors.
- Monitors open encumbrances and deficit chartstrings.
- Level II approver in NUFS.
- School level approver in HRIS.
- Routinely reviews and reconciles actual expenses to budget per NU Audit guidelines.
- Approves funds reallocation within budget as necessary and appropriate.
- Responsible to stop an expense that is inappropriate or against deficit chartstring.
- Negotiates with vendors for purchases and leases.
Facilities and Safety:
- Monitors area facilities conditions and directs requests to Facilities Management using FAMIS.
- Maintains key database and security.
- Works with management to assign visitors from NIST and Argonne, staff and/or faculty space including appropriate FM refresh/renovation and furniture purchase.
- Coordinates set up of furniture, data, phone lines, and/or renovations.
- Brings requests for building and space improvements to attention of management.
- Completes appropriate section of annual SIMS survey following NU protocol.
- Manages the development and communication of department safety plan.
- Monitors research lab compliance and respond to Risk Management reports.
- Ensures communication with Principal Investigators (PIs) regarding ISIS participation.
Grants and Contracts:
- Oversees and/or completes post-award research administration.
- Utilizes established systems (effort reporting, direct cost charging/SDA, and financial reporting) to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Interacts with Principal Investigators (PIs) I to build relationships, transfer knowledge and advise on research policies and procedures.
- Oversees payroll for research appointments, a particularly important component for NAISE given the new processes being defined for appointment and payment of Argonne scientists on NU awards.
- Ensures faculty completion of effort certification.
- Provides appropriate training for staff and PIs.
- Manages implementation of human resource programs, policies, procedures and talent management lifecycle and related mentoring and training.
- Posts positions to eRecruit, leads the recruitment and selection process.
- Manages area/unit structure and prioritizes and distributes staff workload.
- Tracks and manages joint appointment process in NAISE between NU and Argonne
- Recommends complex HR solutions and implements decisions.
- Institutes departmental policy and implements school and NU policy.
- Manages implementation of all safety, security and compliance programs and ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and NU laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Develops innovative methods to assist faculty and staff with adherence to grantor compliance programs.
- Interprets and applies policy and procedure.
- Oversees colloquium and seminar coordination, faculty travel planning. Ensures faculty completion of annual Conflict of Interest Survey.
- Implements department strategy regarding structure, process, and staff support of students in compliance with NU policy.
- For graduate students: Provides guidance and oversight to program assistant for NAISE to be repository of NU process for graduate student appointments at Argonne
- Ensures visitors have appropriate support while resident at Northwestern, including housing.
- Advises students on an on-going basis.
- Researches scholarships, manages Teaching Assistant (TA) and grader allocations.
- For undergraduate students: Organizes new student week and orientation to department.
- Prepares academic year course schedule; monitors course registration and enrollments.
- Resolves student issues.
- Acts as primary contact with School or student organizations.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s in business, accounting or a related field with 5 or more years’ experience in administrative or supervisory capacity with exposure to a combination of budgets, finance, grant administration, facilities, and/or human resources; or 7 yrs administrative experience.
- Experience in grant functions including proposal development, award management and close-out.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Strong interpersonal skill with ability to interact and forge relationships on both Northwestern and Argonne campuses
- Adept at project management.
- Ability to work independently as well as an accomplished team player
- 5 years of work experience in financial administration with exposure to federal grants or agencies
- Experience in academic setting a plus.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excell and Access.
- Familiarity with NU systems (NU Financials, InfoEd, Cognos) and federal funding agencies.
- Ability to travel between Northwestern and Argonne campuses
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.