The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Physician Assistant in the Nursing Physician Assistant Department. To qualify candidate must be a Graduate of a AMA approved Physician Assistant program; current registration by the New York State Department of Education as a Registered Physician Assistant required. Certification by the National Commission of Certification of Physician Assistants preferred. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
In this role, the successful candidate under the supervision of an Attending Physician, the Physician Assistant will perform diagnostic, therapeutic and preventive care activities as assigned. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Additional Performance Standards:Adheres to Departmental and Hospital guidelines concerning safety, rules of conduct, etc., as outlined in the Employee Handbook.Maintains a professional appearance; wears an identification badge at all times.
- Attendance/Reliability:Provides proper notification of absences or tardiness. Gives information regarding patient coverage.Arrives to work on time as scheduled.Does not abuse sick time.Follows Departmental guidelines concerning sick time, vacation, personal days and other paid/unpaid leaves.
- Planning and Time Utilization:Work is thought out and planned in advance; is able to successfully implement plan.Determines priorities; adheres to these priorities with minimal changes.Demonstrates flexibility in adjusting to the fluctuating needs of the Department and the patients.Coordinates work to achieve efficiency and provide quality patient care.
- Initiative:Makes suggestions for positive change.Readily accepts new responsibilities and assignments.Recognizes when help is needed by others and offers guidance and assistance.Performs clinical duties in an independent manner with no need for direct supervision or reminders.
- Judgment/Decision Making:Recognizes problems and seeks solutions as appropriate. Is able to determine when a problem should be referred to the supervisor or requires follow-up attention.Seeks information necessary for accurate completion of job duties; uses reference materials to ensure accuracy.
- Communication/Relationship with Others:Respects and maintains the confidentiality of all patient, physician and hospital related information.Cooperates and communicates effectively and harmoniously with own supervisor, management, peers, general staff, physicians, other Hospital personnel, patients and their families, and the general public in a courteous and professional manner.Communications (verbal and written) are well thought out, effective and informative.Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions or obtain needed information.
- Conferences Attends conference as assigned:Participates in conferences and conducts lectures as assigned.Pursues a planned program of professional growth through continuing education conferences, etc. in order to maintain and upgrade clinical skills.
- Age Specific Standards Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age(s) of the patients served:Demonstrates knowledge when performing the duties and responsibilities outlined herein of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the age(s) of the patients service (i.e. neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric).Effectively assesses data reflective of the patients status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements relative to his/her age specific needs.Demonstrates an understanding of the range of treatment and effectively selects and adapts treatment to the patients age specific needs.Effectively provides the patient care needed as described in the unit/areas/Departments policies and procedures.
- Patient Monitoring Monitors patients under the care of the supervising physician during their Hospitalization:Conducts daily rounds to observe and record pertinent progress of patients.Scrubs and assists in the main operating rooms and ambulatory surgery at the discretion of the supervising physician.Provides post-operative care by checking for signs of post-operative complications, changing dressings and removing sutures and staples.Writes progress notes and interim summaries clearly on a timely basis.Advises supervising physician of any changes in the patients condition.Instructs and counsels patients as advised by the supervising physician regarding physical and mental health including information relating to diets, medication, preventive care, prescribed treatment plans, etc. in order to provide better continuity of care with an overall emphasis on prevention and a humanistic understanding of the patients problems.Assists and when appropriate, initiates management of medical and surgical emergencies; performs emergency life saving procedures when a physician is not available.Maintains an up-to-date awareness of the communitys health facilities, agencies and resources for the purpose of facilitating appropriate referrals for patients.
- Diagnostic Testing Orders appropriate laboratory tests and diagnostic procedures in accordance with level of privileges granted:Orders appropriate tests and medications according to criteria previously established by the supervising physician.Explains the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient.Performs the following procedures as instructed by supervising physician in accordance with standard medical practice:Draws blood; both venous and arterial,Urinary Bladder Catherization,Nasogastric Intubation,Starts and administers IV fluids,Institutes and monitors EKGs,Administers injections,Pulls drains out,Removes casts, andHangs blood transfusions.Interprets test results and makes recommendations to supervising physician concerning further treatment for patient.Complies data and statistics pertinent to the physicians derivation of a logical and systematic evaluation of the patients problems, a planned program of management and therapy appropriate to the patient and the actual implementation of the therapeutic plan.
- Medical History Performs an admission history and a physical examination:Elicits a detailed and accurate medical history from patient and performs appropriate physical examinations.Records appropriate data in medical charts.Organizes and presents pertinent (both normal and abnormal) data in a manner meaningful to the physician for his/her medical diagnosis and treatment.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.