NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Phlebotomist.
In this role, the successful candidate Responsible for performing tasks that are necessary to support pre-testing and post-testing functions within the Cancer Center. Performs venipuncture or skin puncture for the purpose of withdrawing blood for testing for patients of all ages are served and implements and abides by NYU Cancer standards. Supports and demonstrates principles when interacting with patients and their families and with co-workers
- Determines the priority of work to ensure rapid turn around of critical test results. Maintains accurate and timely database entry via the Laboratory Information System in use. The Phlebotomist may be asked to assist in the orientation and training of new employees. Collects, receives, and distributes laboratory specimens and test requisitions. Verifies specimen identification, assesses appropriateness of test orders and quality of the specimen by recognizing factors that affect procedures and results, and takes appropriate action within predetermined limits when corrections are indicated. Logs patient demographic data, specimen collection information, and test orders using established procedures for manual and electronic data management.
- Performs a wide range of phlebotomy procedures including venipuncture, and special collection procedures. Assesses the suitability of venipuncture site, identifies safety concerns, institutes safety measures, and provides appropriate instructions for the age related populations served. Identifies patients by strict adherence to established procedures and consistently labels samples accurately and completely. Maintains a clean, well-stocked outpatient phlebotomy area.
- The Phlebotomist may be asked to participate in quality assurance and/or IOP projects as designated by the Coordinator of Laboratory Services, Supervisor Lab Technologist, or Phlebotomy Supervisor. Attends section meetings and/or in-service training sessions that communicate changes in laboratory practices and/or regulations and compliance as required OR reads and initials meeting minutes if attendance is not possible.
- Maintains an awareness of implementation or changes in policies by reading written and electronic communications, postings, and protocols. Reviews the Policy and Procedure, Safety, and Infection Control manuals as required. Maintains a clean, efficient, and safe work area, contribute to the team effort.
- Exhibits flexibility and adaptability to change, unexpected circumstances and a wide spectrum of laboratory situations. Cooperates with coworkers and managers to maintain a productive and harmonious work environment. Adheres to attendance and dress code standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or the equivalent required.
- One year of Phlebotomy experience performing venipunctures and finger sticks.
- Practical knowledge of information system operations.
- Phlebotomy Certificate and/or Certification in Medical Assisting or equivalent experience.
- Appropriate interpersonal skills for interacting with patients, physicians, and other customers of the Cancer Center.
- Strong verbal communication skills in English language.
- Detail oriented, capable of handling stress from irregular workload and demonstrate businesslike and professional attitude at all times
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.