About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Architectural Planning within the Facilities Department Office of University Planning, the Architectural Planner performs work in support architectural programs and projects. These duties include drafting and sketching of plans using CAD (Computer Aided Design) software for use in concept, design, and construction phases; providing technical assistance for architectural projects; assisting with research, studies, and reports as required and providing occasional on-site photography. Additionally, this position will assist with fieldwork such as coordinating and monitoring projects related to transportation, architecture and landscaping at various stages of development; and assisting in project duties to include design, data collection/analysis, coordinating schedules, budgets, and project scope details. The duties also include assisting the Assistant Vice President for Planning & University Architect (AVP) in preparing a wide range of written and graphic presentation materials (PowerPoint) that the AVP uses in engagement to the university community, including the quarterly Board of Visitor meetings.
- Bachelor's degree in architecture or a related field, or equivalent training and/or experience in a related area (urban planning, graphic design, etc.).
- Must have experience preparing PowerPoint presentations and in AutoCAD design and production.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Adobe PhotoShop, and PowerPoint.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and a Windows operating system environment.
- Must have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision, set priorities and manage several projects simultaneously, and work in a team environment.
- Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to prepare and present clear and concise information.
- Experience producing working drawings in a professional office setting.
- Proficiency working with information across various software platforms: AutoCAD Civil 3D, Bentley MicroStation V8i, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Some photography experience will be helpful.
- Experience in design transportation projects and/or landscape architecture and site planning.
- Master's degree in a related field.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 05/02/2017