| Typical Activities: |
- Ensure that University-wide policies, programs and procedures are developed, implemented and maintained in the broad areas of EH&S.
- Leadership in this area will require successful collaboration across the campus.
- Inform and advise campus leadership regarding environmental risks, necessary safety measures, and regulatory compliance concerns.
- Implement reasonable measures and best practices to manage campus activities and events, appropriately limit exposure to risk, and strategically plan for the ever-changing environment of risk, compliance, safety, business continuity and emergency management.
- Actively coordinate with various campus departments (e.g. Academic Affairs, Administration and Finance, Student Affairs, Student Health Center, Athletics, Extended Learning, Parking and Transportation Services, Department of Police Services, Human Resources, etc.) to achieve compliance while supporting efficient University operations.
- Ensure the development and implementation of programs comply with statutory regulations and CSU polices.
- Monitor regulatory changes and updates on a continual basis and implement modifications necessary to maintain compliance.
- Manage the departmental operating budget and provide regular updates to senior management.
- Responsible for assuring that all department expenditures are cost-effective, aligned with University goals and objectives, and within state and CSU rules and guidelines.
- Administration of department personnel including, recruitment, promotion, recognition, corrective action, development and training.
- Represent the department and/or university at various campus meetings, as well as external meetings with CSU Chancellor's Office, other CSU campuses, federal state and local regulatory agencies, and CSURMA.
- Co-chair of campus Risk and Safety Committee.
| Minimum Qualifications: |
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable federal, state and local safety and environmental laws and regulations, and the demonstrated ability to develop effective programs in a higher education environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to 1) communicate with discretion, tact, and professionalism on sensitive and confidential matters; 2) achieve mastery of complex substantive areas through individual effort and study; 3) work timely and effectively on matters requiring independent judgment; and 4) exercise initiative in carrying out assigned projects.
- Demonstrate commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
- Master's degree in related field.
- Previous experience in an institution of higher education.
- Previous experience assisting attorneys on substantive matters.
- 2-3 years of Supervisory experience.
- 5-7 years of Environmental Health & Safety experience.
- Certification as an Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS), or Associated Risk Manager (ARM)