There are currently 2 positions available.
Under the supervision of the Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the Senior Transportation Engineer works with faculty and other research staff on complex transportation planning analysis tasks related to sponsored research projects, focusing on transportation data development and analysis, use of regional travel demand, traffic and simulation models, and ITS engineering. Under the direction of the Department Chair and Principal Investigators on research projects, the Senior Transportation Engineer participates in a variety of research activities, including performing technical analysis work, preparing documentation, assisting with technology transfer activities, and participating in communication with clients. Duties also include needs assessment, implementation and support for research tasks to which s/he is assigned.
Under the supervision and direction of the Chair of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the Senior Transportation Engineer performs the following duties:
- Manages one or more tasks for sponsored research projects. He/She will focus on areas of transportation modeling and systems analysis, traffic engineering, ITS, and transit systems operations. He/She will utilize and apply travel demand modeling, traffic engineering and simulation, GIS, and other transportation and mathematical modeling and analysis software.
- Performs (as assigned) literature review, problem identification, data collection and analysis, analysis of solutions, and development of recommendations.
- Works with faculty, research staff, and students on preparing technical scopes of work for research projects, and assists the Principal Investigators with developing project schedules.
- Assists faculty and other researchers with managing all aspects of the technical work in the areas of transportation modeling and systems analysis, traffic engineering and ITS, including the scheduling and assignment of work tasks.
- Prepares technical memoranda and progress reports summarizing the results of the technical work. He/She will also be responsible for preparing sections of the Final Report documents related to the work tasks performed as part of research projects, including printed and electronic data and reports for submission and presentation to research clients. The Senior Transportation Engineer will attend meetings as necessary with NJIT faculty and staff, as well as meetings with research clients.
- In coordination with faculty, prepares and sends for publication research reports and papers related to conducted research.
- Keeps up with the state-of-the-practice in transportation modeling, traffic engineering and operations, and ITS, including innovations in related software tools. Implements this knowledge in research activities.