Job Category: Management/Exempt
Department: Science Policy and Government Affairs
Reports To: Director of Government Relations and Advocacy
JOB SUMMARY: This position plays an integral role in advancing the AACR public policy and advocacy work on Capitol Hill. The position assists the Director in the communication of the AACR’s policy priorities and positions to congressional offices, develops persuasive and informational materials, assists in the development and execution of advocacy strategies, and manages special events such as Capitol Hill lobby days, local advocacy events, briefings and special receptions.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- With the Director of Government Relations and Advocacy, conducts legislative outreach and advocacy activities, including, but not limited to, representation at meetings with congressional staff, congressional hearings, annual lobby days, and coalition meetings and functions.
- Drafts and disseminates correspondence to Capitol Hill.
- Researches and develops fact sheets, white papers, and other materials to communicate the AACR’s priorities and policy positions to lay and scientific audiences.
- Conducts annual, in-depth analysis of the federal budget and its impact on the national cancer program.
- Conducts background research on policy topics and analyzes other relevant legislation and legislative proposals.
- Manages special AACR advocacy events, such as briefings, receptions, and lobby days on Capitol Hill and in other policy venues. This includes oversight of logistics and promotional activities, interface with event panelists or other participants, and development of subject matter materials.
- Manages and provides oversight of the AACR’s grassroots advocacy program, including coordination and oversight of state-by-state activities and messaging, and development of educational and persuasive materials to facilitate member communication with elected officials.
- Assists with other science policy-related communications, such as press releases and newsletter articles, as needed.
- Performs the essential functions of the position and other related duties as