NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Linux Systems Administrator.
The Senior Linux Systems Administrator will be responsible for the management Linux/Unix Server infrastructure. S/he will provide 24 x 7 support of engineering solutions in both physical and virtual environments. S/he will design and configure Linux systems, and will handle all upgrades and security patches to application and OS based on agreed-upon maintenance windows. S/he will implement changes and/or new features to support and secure the Windows/Unix infrastructure based on direction and guidance from the Unix Operations Engineering team.
- Application integration, architecture, engineering and support of the MCIT computing systems.
- 24 x 7 support of Medical Center-based systems and related systems.
- Design, implement, and support the MCIT computing systems, including both physical and virtual systems, and perform configuration, maintenance, support, and engineering tasks
- Support MCIT application development, including determining required patches, packages, permissions, software, etc.,
- Coordinate with Security, Unix Operations/Engineering, and other teams to ensure standards are maintained when systems are customized to support MCIT development efforts
- Production support of new engineering solutions.
- Standardization and automation of systems.
- Perform routine systems admin functions to maintain all Linux servers
- Recommend, design and implement systems management and automation solutions
- Design, configure and tune highly-available Linux systems
- Assist in implementing, executing, maintaining, and documenting proper DR and BC procedures
- Participate in deployments, upgrades and maintenance
- Maintain the patch levels of all OS and application patches on all systems using automated systems
- Manage technical projects ensuring best-practices, quality of work and meeting deadlines
- Assist with management of virtualization environment
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent.
- 4+ years' experience engineering and supporting UNIX/Linux (RHEL/Ubuntu) in a large-scale environment.
- Experience supporting computing technologies for researchers (experience within a healthcare environment is preferred)
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills including ability to do presentations and communicate technical information in English to senior IT management
- Experience supporting researchers' development efforts, custom applications, etc.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Dependability and reliability
- Methodical and disciplined approach to problem solving
- Ability to be on-call 24x7
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated experience with advanced configurations such as high availability, clusters, virtualization, performance tuning, etc.
- Experience working within a dynamic R&D environment - Git / Mercurial (source control)
- Experience researching, evaluating, and supporting new technologies
- Experience supporting enterprise-class applications and databases
- Experience deploying Linux on x86 rack-mount server and blade platforms
- Experience connecting Linux systems to enterprise storage, and understanding of appropriate use cases for SAN and NAS
- Experience connecting Linux systems to TCP/IP networks, configuring, troubleshooting, tuning, etc.
- Experience with server virtualization technologies
- Strong scripting skills with experience in Perl, Python, PHP, Bash or other scripting languages
- Implemented automatic configuration system (ansible, puppet, chef, cfengine, etc.)
- Strong Linux security skills/experience
- Experience setting up and deploying systems with Red Hat Satellite.
- Solid knowledge of networking and internet technologies - TCPIP, DNS, DHCP, etc.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.